post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is my all season coop for Michigan. Roost on the left, nesting box on the right. Middle part is 4 ft x 8 ft x 5 ft tall at the front, we have a mixed flock of 5 hens. The nesting box is really big because it was supposed to be a roost but turned out too small...thus the addition of a bigger roost on the other side. It actually turned out pretty good in the end. We do deep litter and they free range in our back yard most days. I installed a light on a timer and have a heated poultry waterer ready to hang inside when the weather gets below freezing. It will be our first winter so hopefully all will go well!

This is my all season coop for Michigan. Roost on the left, nesting box on the right. Middle part is 4 ft x 8 ft x 5 ft tall at the front, we have a mixed flock of 5 hens. The nesting box is really big because it was supposed to be a roost but turned out too small...thus the addition of a bigger roost on the other side. It actually turned out pretty good in the end. We do deep litter and they free range in our back yard most days. I installed a light on a timer and have a heated poultry waterer ready to hang inside when the weather gets below freezing. It will be our first winter so hopefully all will go well!
all look pretty good from here Welcome

I take it that you must get snow - a lot? How do snow country owners keep wind from blowing into their coops? You have nice ventilation and I wondered how the snow/rain/wind is kept out.

Yes, we can get a lot of snow, and it can get really cold, though it depends on the winter. The roost and the coop area both vent under the roof in addition to the side vents & windows. You can't really tell from the pictures but the windows are permanent hardware wire with a pane of removable plexiglass that I put in for the winter. So I can block all the windows if it gets really cold or windy and still have ventilation. This is the first winter for us with chickens so I'm waiting to see if I can leave the windows below the middle area roof open, or if I'll need to cover them. It's not totally air tight at the doors and seams but the walls are solid plywood so they block most of the wind. We have all winter hardy breeds so they should be fine. It's a big experiment as I haven't seen a coop quite exactly like mine...it's really a roost with a small enclosed run for days when we can't let them out in the yard, or when it's snowy and they don't go out...though hard to say how that will go, our chickens haven't seen snow yet!

Yes, we can get a lot of snow, and it can get really cold, though it depends on the winter. The roost and the coop area both vent under the roof in addition to the side vents & windows. You can't really tell from the pictures but the windows are permanent hardware wire with a pane of removable plexiglass that I put in for the winter. So I can block all the windows if it gets really cold or windy and still have ventilation. This is the first winter for us with chickens so I'm waiting to see if I can leave the windows below the middle area roof open, or if I'll need to cover them. It's not totally air tight at the doors and seams but the walls are solid plywood so they block most of the wind. We have all winter hardy breeds so they should be fine. It's a big experiment as I haven't seen a coop quite exactly like mine...it's really a roost with a small enclosed run for days when we can't let them out in the yard, or when it's snowy and they don't go out...though hard to say how that will go, our chickens haven't seen snow yet!

smart build....

I get a teeny bit of snow every year maybe a bout 72 hours worth. but the following picture makes me laugh every time....

the above picture is from an article
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...-line-in-the-snow-on-farm-watch-video-2015221

deb

OH and by the way ... a belated
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High Desert

Serama chickens are supposed to be the smallest breed of chicken...I've got an rooster that is about 8 inches tall....that's including his comb...about the size of a robin....he will fit into a parakeet cage....I can catch him with one hand.....thumb and middle fingers can almost touch around him with his wings folded...I'm considering a small radiant heat panel on the ceiling over the perches...I have in mind a nice little coop...with good ventilation, but not drafty. Maintaining the coop temp around 40 degrees? Warmer if they are on the perches. They will have free access to a covered enclosed run. With wind block on the north, east and west sides. The south facing side will be open to the sun....as much as we get. The floor of the run is a mixture of saw shavings, compost, dirt....sand...nice and dry...they are tolerating 40-50 degrees in the porch right now....I've got to do some more thinking on the design. I'm open to any suggestions! My flock of laying birds stay nice and comfy in their unheated coop, but some would feel that the coop is to small for 30 or so standard size birds....but they only sleep in the coop....and of course use the nest boxes. They spend the day out in the 10 x 25 ft covered run...with numerous perches...the little guys would be built into the other end of that run. Well gotta do some thinking. Thanks for the input guys and gals! Much appreciated! If anyone has any ideas...I'd be happy to hear about them....jan

If they always have access to the run during the day, all you really need in the coop is 1 foot of linear roost per large fowl.

Ever seen one of these?

Or these?

Or these?

We have all of these year round. They do not live in a heated coop. Your Seramas are giants compared to them.

If you can I would add some ventilation under the eaves or a gable vent, more ventilation can't hurt. But understandable if you can't.

Also I would try not to shut them in all winter, surprisingly a lot of birds still choose to go outside in the snow and cold weather. I would at least leave the door open and let them decide rather than forcing a shut in. They will be fine, I promise.

My girls have a door from the barn to the outside world open all day every day. In the winter it is open only "chicken wide". They decide if they want to go outside. They aren't fond of snow (except to eat if off my boots) but are more than happy to be out in cold weather if there is clear ground.

I would give serious consideration to a rain gutter on both of those non gable ends. You don't want the rain running into the run and probably don't want it on your head when collecting eggs.

WOW these are AMAZING Chicken Coops everyone! My husband built this one for me over the summer as our hens outgrew the store bought one. We had a lot of fun and gathered many ideas from ya'll, Thank you for the inspiration!

Gee, too bad you didn't get a nice looking one yourself
lau.gif

Most of our PEOPLE houses aren't that fancy!

Quote:
Someone is reading from the beginning! @fireguy56 posted that 5 years ago.

If they always have access to the run during the day, all you really need in the coop is 1 foot of linear roost per large fowl. Ever seen one of these? Or these? Or these? We have all of these year round. They do not live in a heated coop. Your Seramas are giants compared to them. :th My girls have a door from the barn to the outside world open all day every day. In the winter it is open only "chicken wide". They decide if they want to go outside. They aren't fond of snow (except to eat if off my boots) but are more than happy to be out in cold weather if there is clear ground. I would give serious consideration to a rain gutter on both of those non gable ends. You don't want the rain running into the run and probably don't want it on your head when collecting eggs. Gee, too bad you didn't get a nice looking one yourself :lau Most of our PEOPLE houses aren't that fancy! Someone is reading from the beginning! @fireguy56 posted that 5 years ago.
Yeah I tend to do that... I'll scroll through hundreds of pages... I'm wacky like that.
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom