Post your exotic/domestic duck aviary/pool pics

That's what Im dreading doing (making my pond). Yea they dont have to be triangle shape. But darned if out of all the different boxes to chose from that's the one they use. And I only made one so maybe there is something to it. I have never been able to find a pic of a wild bird nesting site. All my manderin boxes have hinged tops cause I will pull eggs from them alot (either to double clutch or to put rare duck eggs under them for them to hatch. I kept only 5 breeding pairs for this year.

Hmm, i think i'll make one just to be safe. You can never have to many nesting sites.
wink.png

I have 3 pair of cavity nesters and 6 nest boxes as of right now, and 2 that i'm still working on. I'm really hoping that i can get the Pintails to lay this spring so the more nest boxes the merrier

Quote:
Nest boxes... ugh.. we still have aton of them to make!! We have all or most all of the raised boxes done but now have to get ground boxes done... My dad is headed to AK nest weekend (Jan 28-29) and will be bringing 400ft of cypres wood back with him! Fun Times.. then the next weekend will be box building time!

I've enjoyed looking at all of these wonderful pictures of aviarys! I am working on mine, and finished phase one - putting up wood fencing around the back half of my house (with concrete blocks burried under it). I was planning on making the other two sides of it out of chain link, but I see nobody else has done so. Are the holes too big for ornamental ducks? I know racoons can reach through, but I'm in the city and have had no trouble with them bothering my chickens so far. Are there any reasons I should not use chainlink, and instead build a frame with hardware wire instead?

Quote:
Most ornamentals would be able to slip right through the chainlink, although there are larger species that wouldn't be able to which you could raise.

In past post some of my photos of the building process have been deleted to make room for other pictures. I have since made a photobucket account so im adding back the photos that have been lost.

At this point the middle 4x4 poles weren't in the ground yet and the net was partially attached
105_2924.jpg

105_2923.jpg

105_2922.jpg

105_2921.jpg

105_2961.jpg

105_2960.jpg

105_2957.jpg

105_2956.jpg

Quote:
Most ornamentals would be able to slip right through the chainlink, although there are larger species that wouldn't be able to which you could raise.

Thanks, that was the info I needed. 2 x 4s and hardware cloth it is, then. I'm planning on getting smaller ones - probably Mandrins.

I don't know how much hardware cloth is were your at but here it is a lot cheaper to go with the hex wire. Just a thought.
and are you planning on a on ground pen or raised pen?

Back
Top Bottom