Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My barred rock, Ester, laid the first egg at a little over 6 months of age.
36045_store.jpg

I love everyone's first egg celebrations!
smile.png

I can finally say that I have now joined the ranks of the First Egger's Club
chicken.gif

Yesterday I heard this huge ruckus going on outside; LOTS of squawking...I work at home and my office window looks down on the backyard coop. I went out to see what was going on, and one of my girls was in the nesting box, and being quite the drama queen about it! (How in the world did she figure out that the nesting box was the place to be? ~ Fascinating!) A bit later I went out and all 6 came to greet me; I checked the box and there it was...the first egg
smile.png
I've raised my RIRs from chicks; the first egg happened at 20 weeks + 5 days. The other 5 have yet to produce...

This first one is a bit small (so precious!), but hoping they get bigger as we go along. The egg on the right is a store-bought organic extra-large for comparison.

DSCF6598.jpg

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

I got my 1st blue egg from my little EE Blossom! She was sitting in the nesting box this morning--which is odd for her----so I waited and she got up to go hang out with her friend, Lucy (EE and hatch buddy) and there was this blue egg!
celebrate.gif

Her face had started getting redder about 2 weeks ago. I figure she is about 22 weeks. I now have a olive and light eggs and a blue. Just waiting on the rest of the girls!!

34260_first_blue_egg_from_blossom.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful egg...love the blue ones!

I found our second egg this morning; I have no idea if it was from the same chicken, but it was in the same nesting box as the first (the darkest, coziest box furthest from the door
smile.png
)

I do wish they'd all jump on the bandwagon! LOL

I was working on the pen and heard cackling. I'd never heard the sound before, but knew immediately what it was. Peeked into the coop and two hens were in the nests. I left them alone and in about 15 minutes the noise stopped. Then two hens strutted down the ramp from the coop.
wee.gif
I ran to the house to get my camera. Carefully opening the back of the nesting boxes to take a picture of our very first egg to show all of you. But, to my surprise, when I opened the back door, there were no eggs!
idunno.gif
But then I looked at my feet where all 15 of my chickens were gathered, busily eating the single crashed, newly laid, egg!
barnie.gif
Seems only one egg was laid, and laid too close to the back edge of the nest. I'll be putting a taller lip on the back of the nesting boxes immediately! We had two more eggs laid today, but the excitement wasn't as euphoric, nor did the event suggest a picture was necessary. Sorry! But we do plan on having them for breakfast in the morning.
thumbsup.gif
Guess this makes me a "First Egger", huh?

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW! I thought silkies laid tiny eggs, much smaller than a standard- that egg looks huge- congrats! It's beautiful!
celebrate.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom