Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

Jason, I went back through and looked at the standard. Just skimming through, other than tail angle, that single male does not look bad.

His tail angle would be his biggest fault, and the hardest one to fix. Most of them here seam to have that issue. Does anyone not have it? That would be something I would want to identify.

What are the eggs like from your Crele birds?

How do the compare to the Standard weights? The blacks in Spain look the largest. I have not looked to see if there is different weights for the different colors.

How many breeders are there? How long have they been breeding them?

Who has the best Partridge colored birds. I like that color with the white earlobes. Bred up, I think they could be pretty sharp.

When you get the time, I would like to see how the young birds grew out.

I will get some updated pictures of the Catalanas. Then you can see how far I have to go.

From what I understand, the best way to bring down that tail angle is to breed for width between the pelvic bones and depth between those and the end of the breast bone. Don't just check your females but your males as well as he will pass this to his daughters, of course he won't have anywhere near the space that your females have but he should have as much space as you can find. The dam in this cross will pass to her sons.

It may take a few generations but I'd really be interested in seeing your progress. These are really nice looking birds. I like the crele pattern a lot.

Jason, I went back through and looked at the standard. Just skimming through, other than tail angle, that single male does not look bad.

His tail angle would be his biggest fault, and the hardest one to fix. Most of them here seam to have that issue. Does anyone not have it? That would be something I would want to identify.

What are the eggs like from your Crele birds?

How do the compare to the Standard weights? The blacks in Spain look the largest. I have not looked to see if there is different weights for the different colors.

How many breeders are there? How long have they been breeding them?

Who has the best Partridge colored birds. I like that color with the white earlobes. Bred up, I think they could be pretty sharp.

When you get the time, I would like to see how the young birds grew out.

I will get some updated pictures of the Catalanas. Then you can see how far I have to go.
Yes his angle is a little high. Partly from how he is standing but is high. I saw a few similar pictures from Spain but in general not so high.
One thing though when looking at pictures of them running / walking and font views is there tail seems to move up some while in motion.

The Black is a larger bird than the other's
crele , partridge and wheaten but about a pound to a pound and a half in the Cock birds

Guys birds have nice angles for sure.
as far as eggs crele are generally the lightest but I still get dark eggs. Mater a fact I traded for some eggs awhile back from another crele breeder. they did not have as much of a terra cotta color but where super dark. Darkest eggs I have ever had, none hatched though.

here they are

this bottom picture has the crele I got in on the bottom
a Pullet Empordanesa egg in the middle
my crele on top.

Penedesenca and empordanesa lay Jumbo eggs

As far as Partridge. @ronott1
has some . Luann Keller out your way has nice ones too. otherwise not many people came forward when I asked the forums for breeders.
Our Fly Babies , Sandhill and Gabard do. also on Ebay sheryljane ( Jerry pool ) has them
crele is double barred partridge so I may be looking for good partridge hens myself to diversify my blood line if we can not import.

I will be hatching a bunch of birds this year and will post pics as they grow.

I would love to see pictures of the Catalans
with breeds like ours that are so rare we need to hatch as much as we can and use the best we have to offer.

Yes his angle is a little high. Partly from how he is standing but is high. I saw a few similar pictures from Spain but in general not so high.
One thing though when looking at pictures of them running / walking and font views is there tail seems to move up some while in motion.

The Black is a larger bird than the other's
crele , partridge and wheaten but about a pound to a pound and a half in the Cock birds

Guys birds have nice angles for sure.
as far as eggs crele are generally the lightest but I still get dark eggs. Mater a fact I traded for some eggs awhile back from another crele breeder. they did not have as much of a terra cotta color but where super dark. Darkest eggs I have ever had, none hatched though.

here they are

this bottom picture has the crele I got in on the bottom
a Pullet Empordanesa egg in the middle
my crele on top.

Penedesenca and empordanesa lay Jumbo eggs

As far as Partridge. @ronott1
has some . Luann Keller out your way has nice ones too. otherwise not many people came forward when I asked the forums for breeders.
Our Fly Babies , Sandhill and Gabard do. also on Ebay sheryljane ( Jerry pool ) has them
crele is double barred partridge so I may be looking for good partridge hens myself to diversify my blood line if we can not import.

I will be hatching a bunch of birds this year and will post pics as they grow.

I would love to see pictures of the Catalans
with breeds like ours that are so rare we need to hatch as much as we can and use the best we have to offer.

I have 4 egg collected from my Partridge Penes!

fl.gif
I hope the are fertile!

the Dr. in Spain liked our birds here in general as well and was very happy we are working with them.

Here is my main project / issue. I am debating focusing on my Empordanesa more and clearing out this run.
I have a large Black rooster ( he is heavier than the standard ) His comb is GREAT !
no red earlobes though. His sister did which tells me its in there somewhere lol
I have him with 2 hens that are the only 2 I kept from my Sand hill order. they look fine.
But I gave away all the others . poor form , shape etc. some looked way off and more like a leghorn.
so I am test hatching a few to see how they look but not sure if I want to stay on this path. with the black unless I can get a few good ones here and get
new blood to breed to.

Last edited:
I have 4 egg collected from my Partridge Penes!

fl.gif
I hope the are fertile!

Good luck with that! When do you plan to start incubation?

My incubator is almost full now with eggs from my bantam Andalusian project. I plan to start it on Wednesday. Hope it goes well and I get some birds as beautiful as the parents, only smaller!

From what I understand, the best way to bring down that tail angle is to breed for width between the pelvic bones and depth between those and the end of the breast bone. Don't just check your females but your males as well as he will pass this to his daughters, of course he won't have anywhere near the space that your females have but he should have as much space as you can find. The dam in this cross will pass to her sons.

It may take a few generations but I'd really be interested in seeing your progress. These are really nice looking birds. I like the crele pattern a lot.
That is a good point Lacy.

I have learned that once it becomes a tendency, it is tuff to turn it around. An easy trait to fix in a flock, but difficult to correct.

And it takes away from the bird. It is one of those points where if everything else is right, the bird is still not quite right. The bird loses a sense of balance in appearance.

Jason, I am always watching my birds trying to get a sense where that tail is naturally. If they get excited they lift them up etc.

Good luck with that! When do you plan to start incubation?

My incubator is almost full now with eggs from my bantam Andalusian project. I plan to start it on Wednesday. Hope it goes well and I get some birds as beautiful as the parents, only smaller!

I am getting a batch Blue egg layers to hatch on Wednesday so I will set what they lay until then. My incubators are starting to go now--I set 24 new Heritage Delawares and 4 SG dorking eggs on Friday. Those are for the local breeder I am working with.

Back
Top Bottom