Prairie Flower Block Swap

Well I am sewing the blocks together already but a little different. I am sewing them in sets of 4 and adding a 6 inch border all around. I am making baby quilts. Most if not all will probably go the the NICU to be used to cover isollettes for preemies. On another board I have a thread going for collecting preemie quilts, orphan blocks and fabrics for a hospital my triplet grand daughters were born at. I am sewing all the prairy blocks into these baby quilt tops. One top is done and looks really cute. Thank you everyone for helping me in making these cute preemie quilts for the NICU. Thank you katsdar for all your hard work. The little extra is very special! (I don't want to give it away)
Anna6~ I love this idea! Some of us ladies at church have been discussing doing this very thing. I was wondering how you go about doing it, do you use the baby's flannel to back, and do you tie or quilt them. I have a niece that had a baby boy 6 weeks ago. He weighed 1 lb 4 oz. He is up to 2 lbs now and doing very well. I want to make him a quilt. When my DMIL was living, she made friends and family baby quilts when they were born. She used the real soft flannel for the backing and she just knotted them, but everyone always wanted one of "Grandma Myrts" quilts.

And Katsdar~I, too, want to thank you for your hard work in organizing these swaps.
hugs.gif
And the special somethings you contribute are very much appreciated!

OHhappychicks, I am not sure if you plan to donate them to the preemie NICU or give the quilts directly to the parents. If you plan to donate to a NICU besure to check if they have requirements. The NICU that we have been donating to has not set any particular requirements but I did learn they like larger quilts, 35x35 to 50x60 to cover the isolettes. Small quilts are used for baby memory boxes, to hold a baby in and or under or as a "nest" for wee little ones. I try to make sure those have flannel on the back for sure. The NICU mentioned how much they appreciated the flannel. Make sure not to use fabric with glitter. I quilt all quilts and do not tie. I am not sure if the strings would be a concern and or if it would feel hard for the baby. Often the babies lay on the really small quilts with the flannel side up. I also use thin poly batting with the smallest quilts and limit quilting so as to keep the small quilts flexible. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

OHhappychicks, I am not sure if you plan to donate them to the preemie NICU or give the quilts directly to the parents. If you plan to donate to a NICU besure to check if they have requirements. The NICU that we have been donating to has not set any particular requirements but I did learn they like larger quilts, 35x35 to 50x60 to cover the isolettes. Small quilts are used for baby memory boxes, to hold a baby in and or under or as a "nest" for wee little ones. I try to make sure those have flannel on the back for sure. The NICU mentioned how much they appreciated the flannel. Make sure not to use fabric with glitter. I quilt all quilts and do not tie. I am not sure if the strings would be a concern and or if it would feel hard for the baby. Often the babies lay on the really small quilts with the flannel side up. I also use thin poly batting with the smallest quilts and limit quilting so as to keep the small quilts flexible. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
Maybe we could do a baby quilt as a swap and send it to you to donate, and we put our information on it like state, etc. Or we could send to OHhappychicks. something to think about!!

Well! You were very wrong Kats! I got my blocks today, a mere 6 days after posting. Well done. Strangely enough, I didn't have any of my own blocks in my pile! Thank you for surprise. I was very surprised. You must have been on a little trip. Tell me all!

Well! You were very wrong Kats! I got my blocks today, a mere 6 days after posting. Well done. Strangely enough, I didn't have any of my own blocks in my pile! Thank you for surprise. I was very surprised. You must have been on a little trip. Tell me all!
I gave everyone someone else's blocks, figured you had the fabric that one could make more, I hope that was ok with everyone.

I contacted her through her website, and told her about us and asked if she would autograph some cards for me to send. Very nice lady, told her about you and fenrosie being from England and you being her #1 fan. Now tell the rest of the story for the ladies, fenrosie will just not know what is on the card, but I think it is safe to let the cat out of the bag.

I forgot to post that I got my blocks Monday. Soo. Beautiful. I've been lazy about my sewing lately. Hopefully I'll get some projects finished. I do have all arrow head blocks cut out.

Thank you for the info! I will get with some of the ladies at church and see how we want to proceed. Sounds like such an awesome project!

Back
Top Bottom