Prefab coops that (mostly) don't suck under $1000

Pics
What about using things like roof vents and small vent turbines like those used on a house's attic?

So, ultimately I'd like to build something like this: https://rogueengineer.com/diy-modern-chicken-coop-plans/

It's overall 5'x12' and about 6' tall. So there's 24" of headroom in the area under the coop. In their plans they put a face board over the nesting boxes, so that cuts down the coop space to like 3'x5'...it wouldn't be too hard to just have the nesting boxes stick out to get 4'x5' in the coop.

Now, trouble is that I just priced it out in materials at Lowe's, and it would be between $1200 and $1500... So my price cap of $1000 for a junk prefab seems kinda dumb.
Ummmm. You do not have to use NEW lumber from lowes. Pallets would work for that. Most are free, ask around. You might not even have to break them down, used lumber. I saw debris from a remodel piled by the road, stopped and asked and was told to help myself.
They even helped load it.
2x4's 16 various lengths.
1x6's 10 4 ft long
I was surprised what my honda civic will hold 😉
I did make 2 trips.
I found sheet metal off a barn roof, had to get friend to haul it, again it was free but I paid friend for his time/gas with a big home cooked meal.
Just some Ideas, chickens can be expensive so I always try to look "outside the box" for cheap.
Oh! I found a 8 ft roost laying on the ide of the road.
A 2-3 inch diameter tree branch. It had been there long enuff that I didn't even need to break side branches off-it was smooth.

Back
Top Bottom