Prefab coops that (mostly) don't suck under $1000

What climate are you in? That affects how much of the year your chickens can use the run, which affects how important coop size is.

In some climates, the hens really do use the enclosed coop only for sleeping and laying eggs, and spend all their days in the run. Most prefab coops will sort-of work in such climates (or if you put the entire thing inside a big climate-controlled building.)

But in most climates, there are lots of days when the hens need to spend their time inside the coop, so it needs to be much bigger. Most prefab coops are not large enough for chickens to spend time inside while they are awake.

The common rule of thumb is 4 square feet per hen in the coop, and 10 square feet per hen in the run. That allows for hens to spend entire days in the coop if needed, although they aren't too happy about it. In a harsh climate, you should allow even more coop space than that.

That would require 16 square feet of space in the coop, and 40 square feet of space in the run.

That coop space means actual space they can walk around, not space used for nestboxes. A walk-in coop with raised nestboxes allows the hens to use the floor under the nests. A raised coop with the nestboxes at the same level as the floor does not allow that.

I would estimate the coop space a bit smaller than that, because it's less than half of the total footprint. Also, the nestboxes are part of that "coop" space, which further reduces how much is usable by the hens.

I think it is the biggest of the three you listed (definitely run, and probably coop as well.) So it's probably better than the other two, although I would still aim for bigger yet.

I notice that is the case for every one you listed.

According to the dimensions, it does NOT provide enough space for 4 hens.
Quote from the website:

That works out to a house size about 4 square feet, and a run size of just over 12 square feet (without add-on run.)

So it's big enough for one hen, not four.

I think this is the worst of the three you listed, and I would not consider it.

Dimensions include:

So if you subtract the nestbox width, the coop and run are both narrower than those dimensions.

Their coop dimensions would work out to 9.5 square feet, but since part of that is nestbox, it's actually smaller.

I cannot find the actual width of the run, but even their overall dimensions would make less than 30 square feet. (And the run is smaller than that, because it is skinnier than the "including nestbox" measurement.)

I would not get this one either.

You might consider this one:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-extra-large-sentinel-chicken-coop-mfc-ls

I do not know about the quality of construction, but it comes very close to having enough space.

That makes 38.5 square feet of run.

I'm having trouble finding the coop dimensions on the site, but one of the comments says,
"The coop itself is 18.82 square feet, and the overall product is 55.6 square feet you can also refer to the manual on the TSC website."

For this coop (unlike the others) the nestboxes are raised, so the hens can use the space underneath them. That means the coop does have enough square feet of space.

So if you must buy a prefab coop, I would probably buy that one.
I would still add additional run space if possible, but I think this is more workable than most other prefab coops.
So I've been looking at the coop you linked again, and I noticed there are some really good photos from customers of the interior. I've linked to them here to see if that influences opinions for better or worse. Based on feedback, I'm sure I'd need to improve the ventilation, but otherwise it looks pretty good (at least to my untrained eye).

So I've been looking at the coop you linked again, and I noticed there are some really good photos from customers of the interior. I've linked to them here to see if that influences opinions for better or worse. Based on feedback, I'm sure I'd need to improve the ventilation, but otherwise it looks pretty good (at least to my untrained eye).

The simple fact of having a walk-in coop instead of an elevated reach-in coop means the nestboxes can be above the floor, with the roosts higher than the nests. This leaves the floor free for chickens to actually walk on. Those details solve some of the major coop-interior problems that are common with prefabs. (Ventilation is another issue, as has already been pointed out.)

Yes definitely needs more ventilation, the one window I can see appears to be glass/plexi and not open for ventilation.

The roosts are badly placed over the top of the nests like that - nest boxes under roosts need a good amount of overhead protection..

Yes definitely needs more ventilation, the one window I can see appears to be glass/plexi and not open for ventilation.

The roosts are badly placed over the top of the nests like that - nest boxes under roosts need a good amount of overhead protection.
To avoid them pooping all over the nesting boxes I presume? Would it work to just stick a piece of wood over them for some coverage?

The simple fact of having a walk-in coop instead of an elevated reach-in coop means the nestboxes can be above the floor, with the roosts higher than the nests. This leaves the floor free for chickens to actually walk on. Those details solve some of the major coop-interior problems that are common with prefabs. (Ventilation is another issue, as has already been pointed out.)
My plan would also just be to secure the whole structure from predators and then leave the coop door open all the time so they can go in or out as they please and have all of that room.

To avoid them pooping all over the nesting boxes I presume? Would it work to just stick a piece of wood over them for some coverage?
That would work as long as there's enough overhang to protect the nests under it. Keep in mind you'd then need to scrape poop off the nest tops.

Personally I'd rather move the roosts and avoid any chance of poop splattering into the nests.

The roosts are badly placed over the top of the nests like that - nest boxes under roosts need a good amount of overhead protection..
Looking at the instructions online, it looks like I could probably just swap the wood triangle above the back door for the mesh triangle above the run door to help add some ventilation

I have the first one, the XL. The wood is MUCH heavier duty than the other prefab coop I have, and with a proper coat of paint (which I have not done because painting that lap board style siding is a PITA!) It would hold up for several years. Mine is under a roof in an enclosed run out of the weather. I will say DEFINITELY get some RV or trampoline tie down straps and secure it. Mine blew over because it is top heavy and landed on my other coop. The XL was perfectly fine when righted, but my other coops legs broke. All that said, I have only two chickens sleeping in that coop and I don't use the run portion (doors always open) because it is inside a secure 20x20 run. The only perch bars if you even want to call them that are about an inch off the floor. The chickens have to sleep in the nest box. Not ideal, but it was meant as a temporary solution to a chicken math problem 😅

I don't have either of the others but they certainly are using that real estate agent creative camera single trick to make those look bigger. I'd say 2 chickens max on any of them, and avoid the pull out cleaning tray feature if you can though most prefab have it. It's useless, and just makes the floor ricketty. I secured mine with wire to keep small critters like squirrels and rats from sliding it and weasling in.

My other coop is also a prefab, a Rugged Ranch Omaha
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...4QyukVE_a0j7uTemn51cVscIyJKiVaFoaAup6EALw_wcB

Note this is a newer model, I did NOT pay 700 bucks for this. It was about 450 then, and I worked at the store so I got a discount. Also purchased in haste, as I'd adopted a bunch of injured baby chicks from the store and they needed a home. 3 years later they still live in it, but it is ricketty as hell and leans, after the other coop fell on it. I also loaded it up all in one piece on a trailer and hauled it 30 miles and it survived, though the bottom tray and some of the doors are crooked now. It DOES have perch bars, and most of my chickens perch at night, all 6 that sleep in here have space although my blind chicken and the one with pendulous crop now choose to sleep in the nest boxes for their own reasons. This one I added weather stripping to because there were big gaps between the double doors. The wood is the typical flimsy prefab stuff, but with a good coat of paint it survived two years outside, and will live out its last under the run roof. Planning to build a "real" coop before the next winter.
Final thought: easy to collect eggs from both, PITA to clean.

Last edited:
I have the first one, the XL. The wood is MUCH heavier duty than the other prefab coop I have, and with a proper coat of paint (which I have not done because painting that lap board style siding is a PITA!) It would hold up for several years. Mine is under a roof in an enclosed run out of the weather. I will say DEFINITELY get some RV or trampoline tie down straps and secure it. Mine blew over because it is top heavy and landed on my other coop. The XL was perfectly fine when righted, but my other coops legs broke. All that said, I have only two chickens sleeping in that coop and I don't use the run portion (doors always open) because it is inside a secure 20x20 run. The only perch bars if you even want to call them that are about an inch off the floor. The chickens have to sleep in the nest box. Not ideal, but it was meant as a temporary solution to a chicken math problem 😅

I don't have either of the others but they certainly are using that real estate agent creative camera angle trick to make those look bigger. I'd say 2 chickens max on any of them, and avoid the pull out cleaning tray feature if you can though most prefab have it. It's useless, and just makes the floor ricketty. I secured mine with wire to keep small critters like squirrels and rats from sliding it and weasling in.

My other coop is also a prefab, a Rugged Ranch Omaha
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...4QyukVE_a0j7uTemn51cVscIyJKiVaFoaAup6EALw_wcB

Note this is a newer model, I did NOT pay 700 bucks for this. It was about 450 then, and I worked at the store so I got a discount. Also purchased in haste, as I'd adopted a bunch of injured baby chicks from the store and they needed a home. 3 years later they still live in it, but it is ricketty as hell and leans, after the other coop fell on it. I also loaded it up all in one piece on a trailer and hauled it 30 mmiles when I moved and it survived, though the bottom tray and some of the doors are crooked now. It DOES have perch bars, and most of my chickens perch at night, all 6 that sleep in there have space although my blind chicken and the one with pendulous crop now choose to sleep in the nest boxes for their own reasons. This one I added weather stripping to because there were big gaps between the double doors. The wood is the typical flimsy prefab stuff, but with a good coat of paint it survived two years outside, and will live out its last under the run roof. Planning to build a "real" coop before the next winter, and repurpose the Omaha for grow outs and turkey poults.

Final thought: easy to collect eggs from both, PITA to clean.

(Pic is inside the Omaha, when I went out to put the blind Wyandotte to bed. Sometimes she manages to get in the coop on her own, sometimes I have to put her in!)

Attachments

• 20220310_202408.jpg
    20220310_202408.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom