Pics
Anybody in the Chicago West/South suburbs? I have a bumber crop of habaneros and some scorpion peppers that I cannot use. Happy to give them away. PM me if interested.
You should really consider trying dry fermentation…..of course wear gloves and slice them up put them in a vacuum seal bag leaving in a few stems with 3% salt (ex: 9g sea salt to 300g peppers) store in a dark area that’s approximately 70-75* and check them once a week or so.

You should really consider trying dry fermentation…..of course wear gloves and slice them up put them in a vacuum seal bag leaving in a few stems with 3% salt (ex: 9g sea salt to 300g peppers) store in a dark area that’s approximately 70-75* and check them once a week or so.
7C5579CB-8BC7-444B-B4A0-6DEDD29C5564.jpeg

fermented habaneros
FF85D26C-1CF4-4B53-9ADF-FFBEF2275290.jpeg
Buffalo sauce emulsifying
67D4E82C-3C28-41A9-9B6B-78B4D1EB7E52.jpeg

one new batch of jalapeños and assorted green peppers fermenting in my closet

Opened this 2qt jar of pickles I made in July. It was made with cucumbers, onions, garlic, jalapenos and banana peppers. The best pickles I've made so far!
A friend had a qt jar of these I gifted him and he says I should sell them. I wonder what red tape I would have to go through to sell canned goods. I seen pickles, jams and jellies being sold at the local farmers market all summer.

20211005_224501.jpg
20211005_224808.jpg

Opened this 2qt jar of pickles I made in July. It was made with cucumbers, onions, garlic, jalapenos and banana peppers. The best pickles I've made so far!
A friend had a qt jar of these I gifted him and he says I should sell them. I wonder what red tape I would have to go through to sell canned goods. I seen pickles, jams and jellies being sold at the local farmers market all summer.

View attachment 2857377View attachment 2857378
Each state has their own rules about what you can sell or not and how to label them. I can't remember now where to look for that....

Each state has their own rules about what you can sell or not and how to label them. I can't remember now where to look for that....
My husband looked up “cottage laws” for Missouri. It covered what licensing was needed and how to label, top limit of how many you could sell and that kind of thing.

https://www.ilstewards.org/policy-work/illinois-cottage-food-law/
Found this, and there is a download button to look through each food item.

You would fall under the cottage law - like I do. Here is Illinois
https://forrager.com/law/illinois-home-kitchen-operation/

But it only applies to baked goods. I don't see regulation for canned/preserved goods at the cottage level. So probably just labeled, dated, with ingredients and contact information.

Back
Top Bottom