Pics
How does family like apple bread?. It's hard to eat that much apple butter but my DH eats all quick breads no waste. I am in the process trying to find the best apple fritter bread . All that to say this :
maybe dry some chunks or if plenty of freezer space cut them up to use for bread. I would think that type would end up mushy for pies. ?

DM freezes apple pies before baking. They turn out great. I can get more info if you need it.

UGA has a tomatillo salsa recipe that uses a lot of onions, if you also happen to have tomatillos in the freezer/pantry.
Yes please on the freezing of apple pies before baking.

Yes please on the freezing of apple pies before baking.
It sounds like there's nothing to it, actually. Prepare the pie as usual, the top can be either crust or crumb. Place in the freezer to harden, then wrap in heavy duty foil and a plastic bag and remove all the air. Don't thaw before cooking, but you will need to cook longer since it's frozen. Bake on a sheet pan with foil in case it leaks. I asked how long and DM said "you'll know when it's done". She has three in the freezer now so I may have to snag one when I go home for xmas :D

apple slices are in the dehydrator. I fit one bag worth of apples. There's two more bags to preserve still. I guess it's one bag per day getting ran through the slicer/peeler and dehydrated. I want to pickle some of the onions and likely freeze the rest except what we will use in a reasonable time.

apple slices are in the dehydrator. I fit one bag worth of apples. There's two more bags to preserve still. I guess it's one bag per day getting ran through the slicer/peeler and dehydrated. I want to pickle some of the onions and likely freeze the rest except what we will use in a reasonable time.
I freeze some apples too. I make apple cider with them.

Are dried apples crisp like apple chips? Or should I expect them to be chewy like dried apricots or mangoes?

Right now they are at the chewy stage. I'm wondering if I should keep them in the dehydrator longer. I'm hoping they will get crisp. They are cut around 1/8" thick I think (whatever the spiral slicer cuts them at).

Are dried apples crisp like apple chips? Or should I expect them to be chewy like dried apricots or mangoes?

Right now they are at the chewy stage. I'm wondering if I should keep them in the dehydrator longer. I'm hoping they will get crisp. They are cut around 1/8" thick I think (whatever the spiral slicer cuts them at).
Mine were chewy. I wish they would be crisp like a chip, but they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom