Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

Thanks so much for sharing this! Our family recently bought 21 baby chicks from some friends of ours and one of them I think is getting cocci, and have started adding ACV to their water (and to this little isolated buddy of mine) in hopes it will help!

I am always on the lookout for natural approaches to healing my animals (myself included), and we always have ACV on hand, so this is wonderful!!!

Thanks again!

Awesome post and thank you SO MUCH for posting this!!

I <3 ACV!!! I have been drinking it daily for YEARS so I always have some braggs ACV in the house. Will absolutely be putting some in the water this evening for the chicks.

on a side note -- if you mix about 1 tablespoon with 4 oz of water and a little bit of honey you have the *best* cough medicine (this is for humans BTW not chicks). I can't take most cold medications due to interactions with medication I take daily and someone told me about this remedy years ago and it works AMAZING. It has saved my sanity every cold season/allergy season. It will knock the cough out of you for a good 4 hours.

Hello,
Ok Im sure somewhere above there is directions but can you tell me how much to add to water? Also is good to give to little day old chicks too? Mine were started on medicated chick starter from a breeder that gave some to me, but if this is better I will move them to a mash chicken starter without the medication and put apple cider vin into water instead. :) I like a more natural approach. I am expecting 8 more babys monday and want them all healthy not spreading anything.
jumpy.gif

I use ACV for myself quite often but I have to be careful. Too much and it can cause issues w/ calcium absorption as well as some nutrients. This would be the same for poultry as well. So try not to use too much (ie, just a bit in water, FF mash every other day, or in small portions/mixes w/ dry or normal sprouted grains.)

Been using "too much" for years now and have seen no ill effects for the birds. Eggshells are all thick and strong, bones and health are all good and strong. FF every single day. My current flock of 8 hens and one rooster are all fit as a fiddle, 4 hens are still laying at 6 yrs of age and the other 4 hens are still laying at 3 yrs. The rooster is 6 and still fertile.

My mother has been using vinegar daily for 20 years and is 78...her bone mass density measurement is normal for a 21 yr old woman. All her sisters, on the other hand, have severe osteoporosis and have metal rods holding their spines together.

Vinegar does not decrease calcium absorption or uptake, nor does fermented feeds~that's a myth. Actually, many people are complaining that the eggshells are so thick that they fear the chicks won't be able to get out of the shells.

Been using "too much" for years now and have seen no ill effects for the birds. Eggshells are all thick and strong, bones and health are all good and strong. FF every single day. My current flock of 8 hens and one rooster are all fit as a fiddle, 4 hens are still laying at 6 yrs of age and the other 4 hens are still laying at 3 yrs. The rooster is 6 and still fertile.

My mother has been using vinegar daily for 20 years and is 78...her bone mass density measurement is normal for a 21 yr old woman. All her sisters, on the other hand, have severe osteoporosis and have metal rods holding their spines together.

Vinegar does not decrease calcium absorption or uptake, nor does fermented feeds~that's a myth. Actually, many people are complaining that the eggshells are so thick that they fear the chicks won't be able to get out of the shells.

Thank you, Beekissed. I've read vinegar and other types do what the 'myth' says, heard word-of-mouth, and also seems to be a similar 'myth' spread for human health.

From what I know (not to challenge you, just sharing) I've read it pulls more calcium into the bloodstream, even if more is absorbed, taking from the bones. From what you've responded, it seems the studies and findings I've read obviously have issues. Specific flock habitation and genetics can't be ruled out either.

As a side, would you feel that's a possible reason why the eggs you mention are so thick? Perhaps much calcium in the blood getting kicked out fast via egg production. If chickens can free-range or have large runs then they can of course get a lot of that calcium back through calcium-rich weeds. Ones in small runs or battery cages (bleh) might have more issues. Something I wouldn't mind seeing if there's a correlation to.

Cheers^^

Thank you, Beekissed. I've read vinegar and other types do what the 'myth' says, heard word-of-mouth, and also seems to be a similar 'myth' spread for human health.

From what I know (not to challenge you, just sharing) I've read it pulls more calcium into the bloodstream, even if more is absorbed, taking from the bones. From what you've responded, it seems the studies and findings I've read obviously have issues. Specific flock habitation and genetics can't be ruled out either.

As a side, would you feel that's a possible reason why the eggs you mention are so thick? Perhaps much calcium in the blood getting kicked out fast via egg production. If chickens can free-range or have large runs then they can of course get a lot of that calcium back through calcium-rich weeds. Ones in small runs or battery cages (bleh) might have more issues. Something I wouldn't mind seeing if there's a correlation to.

Cheers^^

Calcium stays in the blood stream unless one puts stress on the bones. When this happens, the body moves the calcium from the blood stream to the bones. This is a constant exchange of calcium going on. Weight bearing exercise is the surest way to insure that calcium stays in the bones..for humans and animals alike. This is why one can take all the calcium supplements they wish and it never corrects osteoporosis...because unless one exercises, the calcium passes right from the digestive system and into the blood stream..and from there out with the urine.

Chickens in confinement, particularly in cages are already calcium deficient in their bones due to no exercise.

Nothing leaches calcium out of bones more than non weight bearing and inactivity...this is why astronauts have always had problems with bone loss with extended stays in space. I think they've done things to correct that issue now, but it used to be a huge problem. Vinegar does not have any property that can "leach" calcium from the bone and deposit it into the blood stream, nor can it block calcium uptake.

Calcium acetate is a chemical compound which is the calcium salt of acetic acid. As a form of calcium, it can bind with phosphate in the diet and lower phosphorus levels in the blood but studies have shown it isn't significant enough to cause a phosphorus deficiency, but is helpful when a patient has high phosphorus levels that need to be lowered.

The vinegar cultures and those found in FF can increase dietary uptake of essential minerals and vitamins by increasing the total absorption area, through causing an increased length of the villi, and by increasing the nutrient exchange at the capillary level. These bacteria also produce protein as a byproduct of their metabolism.

I start all my chicks on ACV and now on FF and this is continued throughout their life. All my CX have thrived and been more mobile than I've seen from any other person raising them, bar none. No leg problems, no muscle problems, no heart problems. My CX foraged actively and all day over 2-3 acres clear up to butcher date of 10-11 wks and even roosted on low roosts.

I really don't care about studies much when I can see the results in the flock. If there were some hidden detriment to using the ACV, I'm sure it would have revealed itself by now but my ancient laying hens are still laying and my ancient mama is going line dancing and square dancing 3-4 times a week and can work circles around you and I, so I'm going to stick with the ACV for now.
wink.png

Last edited:
Calcium stays in the blood stream unless one puts stress on the bones. When this happens, the body moves the calcium from the blood stream to the bones. This is a constant exchange of calcium going on. Weight bearing exercise is the surest way to insure that calcium stays in the bones..for humans and animals alike. This is why one can take all the calcium supplements they wish and it never corrects osteoporosis...because unless one exercises, the calcium passes right from the digestive system and into the blood stream..and from there out with the urine.

Chickens in confinement, particularly in cages are already calcium deficient in their bones due to no exercise.

Nothing leaches calcium out of bones more than non weight bearing and inactivity...this is why astronauts have always had problems with bone loss with extended stays in space. I think they've done things to correct that issue now, but it used to be a huge problem. Vinegar does not have any property that can "leach" calcium from the bone and deposit it into the blood stream, nor can it block calcium uptake.

Calcium acetate is a chemical compound which is the calcium salt of acetic acid. As a form of calcium, it can bind with phosphate in the diet and lower phosphorus levels in the blood but studies have shown it isn't significant enough to cause a phosphorus deficiency, but is helpful when a patient has high phosphorus levels that need to be lowered.

The vinegar cultures and those found in FF can increase dietary uptake of essential minerals and vitamins by increasing the total absorption area, through causing an increased length of the villi, and by increasing the nutrient exchange at the capillary level. These bacteria also produce protein as a byproduct of their metabolism.

I start all my chicks on ACV and now on FF and this is continued throughout their life. All my CX have thrived and been more mobile than I've seen from any other person raising them, bar none. No leg problems, no muscle problems, no heart problems. My CX foraged actively and all day over 2-3 acres clear up to butcher date of 10-11 wks and even roosted on low roosts.

I really don't care about studies much when I can see the results in the flock. If there were some hidden detriment to using the ACV, I'm sure it would have revealed itself by now but my ancient laying hens are still laying and my ancient mama is going line dancing and square dancing 3-4 times a week and can work circles around you and I, so I'm going to stick with the ACV for now.
wink.png
Bee (can I call you that?), I want to thank you for this detailed response. It is well-thought out and I can see the kindness you've put into it. I've read a lot about calcium and nutrient intake, although in the end more for humans due to my own struggling health (I'm sure most of my vili are shot, from Gluten issues). I've always been told by doctors that too much vinegary foods cause acid that do what I said in the posts before. Now I think I'm starting to see how they're getting the misinformation, ACV is rather different from processed vinegary foods.

I strongly believe alkaline-blood is good for the body, the same with chickens, but I'm starting to understand ACV has properties that even if acidic, outweigh any negatives.

I'm rather skeptical about studies myself, I try to be as balanced as I can and not jump into fads or extreme diets for animals or my own health. Sadly, when time after time I read the same thing (even if it turns out to be myth or misinfo) I tend to think it's truthful. Thanks to your response, even if I can't personally verify your truth/experience, you've opened up a better way of thinking things out in this matter.

In the end, I am a big fan of cultured/fermented foods, due to all the beneficial bacteria. I will naturally be giving FFs to my quail this summer when they come in, and because of your post I will see just how much they can take (up to your 'doses'). In fact, I may see about doing this for my own body as well.

The note of your mother's current health is an inspiration; if the story of her can help me defy my genetics and potential poor diet (in comparison, with very limited ACV / week) then I'll be very grateful.

Thank you again for your response.

Back
Top Bottom