Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

Can I ask a question Beekissed? Are you using this as your sole coccidiosis preventive (along with management of course) or are the birds also on medicated feed?
I'd love to learn more about ACV, as I've rarely used it, and not as a preventive (for that I use soured milk, which is fantastic). But it would be nice to know there's a variety of organic methods apart from kefir.
cheers
Erica

Yes, I am...along with good management of environment/housing and immunity development in the flock. I've never had a case of cocci in all the years I've kept chickens, so I guess it all works.

Thanks.
smile.png

Well, you convinced me! One of my broodies hatched 8 chicks 2 days ago and I'm doing to paranoid mom thing at the moment. I went and bought a bottle of AVC this morning and I'm going to start giving it to all my chickens now.
Thanks for the info
thumbsup.gif

Well, you convinced me! One of my broodies hatched 8 chicks 2 days ago and I'm doing to paranoid mom thing at the moment. I went and bought a bottle of AVC this morning and I'm going to start giving it to all my chickens now.
Thanks for the info
thumbsup.gif

Did you buy "mother" vinegar or just the plain ACV from the grocery store? Both are good but only the vinegar with the cultured mother in it will work as a cocci preventative. The regular ACV is good for vitamins and electrolyte replacement but won't be much against the cocci pathogen.

The plain one. Will have to wait for someone to go to a city and ask them to get me a bottle of the proper one. We live in a small town and I was surprised to find this bottle today. (Our shops don't really go for non-essentials.) But I'm glad I did! Mixed a batch for all my chickens. Am going to tell my fellow chicken keepers about this too. Thanks again for the info!

I've just received my first chickies 10 days ago, I've been reading everything I can on BYC about keeping chickies and chickens. But your post has really been informative I plan on starting my chickies on ACV to their water. Thanks for the information.
goodpost.gif

I am so glad I read about the vinegar. My husband is retiring from the military after 29 years and about a zillion moves. So along with our four beautiful children ages four to eleven year (only one daughter), five cats (one is pregnant) whoops two, almost three dogs, one lizard, one husband and 15 chickens, we are finally, FINALLY!!!! retiring. I am almost afraid to say it too loud for fear the Army will PCS US SOMEWHERE. so long story short(too late) we have returned to my home state NC bought a small piece of land with a rambling 200 year old farm house with four acres of land.

After having been everywhere, i wanted to raise my children in my home state in the country, without the hustle and bustle of a big city. Somewhere you go to the garden for vegetables and the hen house for eggs. Now I can make my eggs (or my chickens will) with less chemicals and stress. My husband and boys built our coop, my daughter and I will can and bake, then:D head to town to sell our goods.

Thank you for the wonderful tip. Now after serving our country through several deployments, wars and moves, I feel it is time for us to raise our children with a healthy dose of country living. Thank you so much for the tip and please pass along any more you may have.

I am so glad I read about the vinegar. My husband is retiring from the military after 29 years and about a zillion moves. So along with our four beautiful children ages four to eleven year (only one daughter), five cats (one is pregnant) whoops two, almost three dogs, one lizard, one husband and 15 chickens, we are finally, FINALLY!!!! retiring. I am almost afraid to say it too loud for fear the Army will PCS US SOMEWHERE. so long story short(too late) we have returned to my home state NC bought a small piece of land with a rambling 200 year old farm house with four acres of land.
After having been everywhere, i wanted to raise my children in my home state in the country, without the hustle and bustle of a big city. Somewhere you go to the garden for vegetables and the hen house for eggs. Now I can make my eggs (or my chickens will) with less chemicals and stress. My husband and boys built our coop, my daughter and I will can and bake, then:D head to town to sell our goods.
Thank you for the wonderful tip. Now after serving our country through several deployments, wars and moves, I feel it is time for us to raise our children with a healthy dose of country living. Thank you so much for the tip and please pass along any more you may have.

Thank your husband for all his years of fine service for our defense and give yourself a big hug for supporting him as the unsung hero, a military wife! I'm glad you finally get to settle down to a home life. You really might enjoy this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...l-up-a-rockin-chair-and-lay-some-wisdom-on-us

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom