prized French Blue Footed Chickens

You can test each bird to see if the bird is salmonella free. In order to sell them as such, you would have to test them on the day they are slaughtered.

Breese would not be that difficult to duplicate. Give me two years and a salmonella testing kit and I could have them ready to butcher.

People are crazy to pay 20 dollars a pound for a chicken. It is all a bunch of hyp. You can buy the birds on line for 30-50 dollars a bird.

You could put the Breese on one plate and a cornish cross on the other plate and I do not think they (the customer) could tell the difference.

If I new of somebody that would buy the birds. I could sell the birds at 5 dollars a pound and do very well. I need to talk to some restaurants in the area.

Tim

Last edited:
WTH..i'd never eat raw chicken OR pork... To each their own i guess..
sickbyc.gif

He said he hasn't served it raw yet, but did try it with some of his chef friends. He said it was quite good. I imagine it's successful preparation is like any other sashimi, all in the way you slice it. Tonight he's selling it sliced thin and cooked tableside on a block of Himalayan salt. I'm sure the pricetag will be just as impressive as the method. I can't imagine this trend lasting too long. It all started with one of the Top Chef contestants. Next season it'll be something different.
Tim, I'd be interested to hear what breeds you would use. I'll bet those hypothetical customers would prefer the Cornish X.

Last edited:
I have some birds that are broiler crosses that I would use. I have some birds that carry dominant white, have white skin and white shanks but none with blue shanks and feet. I went out and checked my birds and I have a young male that may work and a female that has green legs. She will work for the project.

It would take two years to get the birds clean white with blue shanks. They would also be a meaty, stocky bird. Not like a cornish cross. If you look at my birds they look like other birds but when you handle them you can feel the difference- they are dense. I am working on birds like the Indian River or delaware meat birds.

Tim

Last edited:
As David said they would have had to import them directly for them to be proper Bresse chickens.
Presumably they are the Blue Footed Chickens which wouldn't be quite the same.

As for the salmonella thing. Which salmonella are the birds supposed not to get?

Each to their own, obviously. Personally I think there's far too much hype over the possibilty of disease in this & that natural product. My children & I don't have a problem eating raw or barely cooked meat, raw eggs, prefer unpasteurised milk etc. We're the healthiest people I know....
lau.gif

I remember you posting about your meaties. Wasn't it some devilishly tricky mixture of Orpingtons and Cornish? I'd like to see (and taste) those birds.
The sites I looked at didn't specify a strain of salmonella. I agree that folks tend to be way too prissy about their food. Heck, your mouth is dirtier is than most of the things you put in it.

Ok Lets say I produce a bird that meets the French standard of perfection for a black copper marans, but because the bird did not come from France means it is not a marans. I do not get it.

If I produce a bird that looks like a Breese, cooks like a Breese and tastes like a Breese but because it is not from France it is not a Breese. I still do not get it.

Tim

The French claim it's the regional soil that makes them taste special.
idunno.gif

It wouldn't be the first baseless and arbitrary claim made by someone with something to sell.

Thought this was interesting....

This French breed was imported to England in 1895.

Originally a light laying breed, the Bresse can produce 250 white eggs per year. In France it also has a good reputation for its flesh. Males weigh 2.5-3 kg (6-7.5 lb) and females 2-2.5 kg (5-6 lb).

Bresse now appear in Black, Blue, Gray and White varieties. The original birds were white with some black ticking on the shoulders and grey wingbars. They can be a bit flighty and a tall fence is a good idea.

there is a bird that is becoming popular in fancy food restaurants and the like, which is known as the Blue-footed Chicken. As far as I have been able to figure out, it may be a derivation of the Bresse.

( I lost the site where I found this... I was going to copy and past both)

And Tim...aren't your Rhode Island Silvers just like Delawares?

Last edited:
Quote:
My original cross was a buff orpington on Ross Broiler pullets. I then did some back crossing to broilers mixed in with rhode island red crosses.

I sold some to a man and he said they made good chicken and dumplings.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom