Problem with Site - Not Sure Why

Kilsharion

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Courtland, KS
Does anyone else constantly have to battle the site going here:

<link removed in case it might contain spam or virus>

Instead of to http://www.backyardchickens.com ?

I don't know why; but, I spend an inordinate amount of time having to hit the back button so I can actually see the site. Sometimes I get redirected so much that I just have to walk away a bit or else chuck the machine out the window.

It looks like a java/flash code is getting messed up somewhere and hijacking the link; but....I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can look for an ad blocker and script blocker for IE, (go to tools/manage add ons), that will block a lot of the google ads and other stuff from loading.
When I right click on the back button (IE 8) I just get a menu with move/size/minimize/maximize/close. It's odd that the right click on the back button gives a list of googleads... sounds like some odd add on is doing something to your IE. You can also check that through the tools/manage add ons, see what extras are installed.

I do find this site is slow with IE8, but moves quickly with the other browsers.

I've run into one or two corporate sites that are only programmed to work with IE (IE uses a lot of non-standard HTML). I simply use IE for those sites, and Firefox for everything else. Simply having Firefox installed should not cause any problems to the other sites, as long as you don't set it as your default browser; so you could use it for BYC,a and use IE for the other sites.

The transition to the new website format was a very difficult period for many users, but it was essential. The site was collapsing, it simply couldn't handle the traffic, the amount of words and pictures being posted, and the underlying complexity of sorting and displaying that information in a personalized way to each registered member. If it hadn't been switched over, it wouldn't exist.

There were things I really liked in the old interface, but unfortunately those couldn't sustain themselves and couldn't translate over.

Nifty and his team really worked hard at making it work for everyone, but you wouldn't believe how difficult that is... making it compatible with dozens of different browsers and browser versions (for example, basic html that worked with IE 6 fails with IE 8, etc.), different platforms (Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 7, various Mac and Linux versions, phones like iPhone, Android, tablets, etc...). From the posts I see here, they've solved 99% of the problems. The remaining issues that come up do seem to be related to issues with individual machines... plugins and add-ons to browsers, along with malware, seem to be the most common cause of problems. That back button problem is almost certainly a local issue, and well worth cleaning up.

Please, do give a try at checking what add-ons you have to IE, and seeing whether you can run Firefox for most sites and just keep IE for those that use IE specific programming. You'll find once the issues get sorted out that this site is at least as good as it ever was. Long time members like you really contribute a lot, I came here as a real chicken newbie and the experienced chickeneers definitely took me under their wing. It's a great place.

I realize I've got more geek in me than many users here, not by training, but because I've always liked tinkering and poking under the hood of things. Still, it's not too hard to make it work well.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
One thing you might try doing is disabling or even uninstalling the Java from your browser. Clear your caches and then go get the latest Java. They have just released new versions to counteract a lot of hacking that was going on.

HTH

Confirmation in hand...I do not run my browsers full screen due to how much I tend to have running on my machines. I am not certain what advert it is, specifically; however, every time that I do get the odd "redirect" it is because I have missed the scroll bar and hit an add before it completes loading. Odd, truly, as the code is already registered, so it shouldn't be a broken redirect; but, every time the redirect happens - it is because I've not quite clicked on the scroll bar to scroll - instead I've hit the advert.

Work arounds include: don't run small enough that there is not a buffer between the adverts and the scroll bar / run full screen / wait for the page to fully load before attempting to scroll.

Thanks so much, all, for your feedback on this oddness.

What browser are you using? 

Exploder 9 and 10.

Get it with Chrome, too. Haven't tried Mozilla, yet. Been happening for a while. From seven different machines, four different OSs and three different brower versions/types. :'( It eventually lets me in...obviously. It is just frustrating.

In the meantime, do a good anti-virus scan on your system. There could be a malware infection that is redirecting you.

Does it happen when you try any other website, or just BYC?

Back
Top Bottom