Problem with Site - Not Sure Why

I had to copy and paste this. But it is lined up on the bottom of the screen when I am on BYC. Ity doesn't do this on other web sites.
Can you do a print screen? With windows, just use the print scrn button on the keyboard (sometimes you have to do ctrl+print scrn), crop it in a paint program, and upload it. I'm not sure how to do a screen capture on other operating systems, but it should be just as easy.

BYC has not been user-friendly since their "upgrade" 13 months ago. Good luck to you. You will hit the "Back" button anywhere between 10 and 40 times to go back to the previous page since this happened. They are more concerned with collecting funds from their Googleads than from the users that have supported this site for many, many years.
Odd. A number of people had those problems the first few weeks, but they seem to have been generally cleared up long ago. I've tested on my computer (running XP) with Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome, and with all of them the back button works perfectly and the site runs smoothly. Perhaps you have some javascript blocked, or you have an old implementation of javascript in your browser? The site does use a lot of javascript to render the pages and link all the menus and forums.

You will hit the "Back" button anywhere between 10 and 40 times to go back to the previous page since this happened.

Sorry you feel that way. Our tech team tracked down the problem causing this in the past and we haven't been receiving any other notifications of this problem. It could be an addon, extentision, or other item on your browser / computer causing the problem. Have you tried a different browser like Firefox or Chrome? Both of them are much better browsers than Internet Explorer.

Last edited:
Can you do a print screen? With windows, just use the print scrn button on the keyboard (sometimes you have to do ctrl+print scrn), crop it in a paint program, and upload it. I'm not sure how to do a screen capture on other operating systems, but it should be just as easy.

Odd. A number of people had those problems the first few weeks, but they seem to have been generally cleared up long ago. I've tested on my computer (running XP) with Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome, and with all of them the back button works perfectly and the site runs smoothly. Perhaps you have some javascript blocked, or you have an old implementation of javascript in your browser? The site does use a lot of javascript to render the pages and link all the menus and forums.
Could not do a screen print.
Anyway I think I figured it out. Someone added it on probably by clicking something they didn't realize that they did.
Thanks for you help.
Trying to get it taken care of now.

Sorry you feel that way. Our tech team tracked down the problem causing this in the past and we haven't been receiving any other notifications of this problem. It could be an addon, extentision, or other item on your browser / computer causing the problem. Have you tried a different browser like Firefox or Chrome? Both of them are much better browsers than Internet Explorer.

I even bought a whole new computer last year, brand spanking new with twice as much RAM, processor speed, and a 500 GB HD to try to fix the problem. Anytime we read a forum thread and hit "backspace", nothing happens. If you right click on the back arrow, you will see the list of Googleads that are preventing you from being able to go back a screen. There are sometimes what seems like HUNDREDS of them, but the one time I did bother to count them (around last May, right after buying a new computer), there were I believe 42. As long as you right click on the back button instead of just hitting the back arrow key, you can usually scroll through them in 4 or 5 clicks. Can't use Firefox or Chrome because they're incompatible with some of other programs on my computer that use internet engines for some of the work I do. Also, those Googleads use up a huge amount of bandwidth/data when they load, and some of the folks in Canada and other regions who pay for their internet by the amount of data they use could no longer get on BYC after this upgrade and inundation with Googleads because of what it was costing them. You lost a lot of users last year after your upgrade because of this; it's not about how I "feel,", Nifty. It's about the fact that the site is no longer user-friendly since the upgrade because of the ungodly amount of Googleads. I still love the concept of BYC and still occasionally get on here and post when I have questions, etc., and still love to read the forums--it's just not user friendly anymore. Still love the people here, the forum, the great information that is available! However, loving the site doesn't mean I"m gonna pretend it's user-friendly when it's not.

Hope you understand. :)

You can look for an ad blocker and script blocker for IE, (go to tools/manage add ons), that will block a lot of the google ads and other stuff from loading.
When I right click on the back button (IE 8) I just get a menu with move/size/minimize/maximize/close. It's odd that the right click on the back button gives a list of googleads... sounds like some odd add on is doing something to your IE. You can also check that through the tools/manage add ons, see what extras are installed.

I do find this site is slow with IE8, but moves quickly with the other browsers.

I've run into one or two corporate sites that are only programmed to work with IE (IE uses a lot of non-standard HTML). I simply use IE for those sites, and Firefox for everything else. Simply having Firefox installed should not cause any problems to the other sites, as long as you don't set it as your default browser; so you could use it for BYC,a and use IE for the other sites.

Yup, this site is horribly slow on IE 8 and below. We definitely weighed that as a HUGE part of the decision to move to this new system, and fortunately people are realizing that IE 8 just isn't a good browser for the current interweb. We knew it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but we had faith that the overall pros outweighed the cons, and based on our statistics and info, most of the members feel the same way and would be pretty upset if we went back to the old system.

Regarding IE: Developers tend to hate IE and it's unfortunate that so many people are still using it, and/or have to use it. I really like this article: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/01/bootstrapped-startup-saves-over-100k-by-dropping-ie/

Regarding ads: Running a site like this is very very expensive, and unfortunately only those peeps that have experience in running a site with over a million visitors a month can fully comprehend how exponentially more complicated and expensive it is to run a site like this. It isn't just a matter of buying a bunch of $10 hosting accounts on GoDaddy, BlueHost, HostGater, etc. The advertisements on the site are required to ensure the site can be sustainable and handle the activity and the growth. When I took over the site in 2007 after it had been down (404 error) for months, I promised that I'd make sure the site was self-sustaining... and advertising is the only way to provide a free service to millions of people all over the world.

I'd still bet your issues are a result of your browser and/or other plugins on your system. If changing browsers isn't an option, then I'd suggest either purchasing or winning a Golden Feather Membership (12 months for the price of one movie ticket and popcorn) and you can remove the ads completely.

Believe me, I stress about site problems more than any other member ever has or ever will. I have had countless hour meetings, emails, phone calls, etc. with our developers about a myriad of issues and will continue to do so as long as I'm responsible for the well-being of this amazing community!

Last edited:
HHandbasket wrote: I even bought a whole new computer last year, brand spanking new with twice as much RAM, processor speed, and a 500 GB HD to try to fix the problem. Anytime we read a forum thread and hit "backspace", nothing happens. If you right click on the back arrow, you will see the list of Googleads that are preventing you from being able to go back a screen

Only thing `fast' (relatively speaking) here is the 1.5 DSL (circa 2004 hardware on main machine) Still using IE8/9 and Chrome with none of this showing up. IE8 runs BYC loading of mainpage at 1.5sec. slower than Chrome, but that's it (and I always run the ads - there are errors on ad pages fed through, occasionally, as well).

Using IE8/9 try setting temp. files to check for new page each and every time/disable all add-ons and then check (if it works add the add-ons back one at a time).
Using Chrome go to settings: try killing: "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" also setting: web history: (think it is `pause').

If you haven't tried Firefox, yet, give it a go.

It's not just BYC and it doesn't affect all users - web/adserving `advances' make everyone a `beta tester' of sorts (used to get paid for that - but didn't get the programs for `free' cough/cough).

Yup, this site is horribly slow on IE 8 and below. We definitely weighed that as a HUGE part of the decision to move to this new system, and fortunately people are realizing that IE 8 just isn't a good browser for the current interweb. We knew it wouldn't be perfect for everyone, but we had faith that the overall pros outweighed the cons, and based on our statistics and info, most of the members feel the same way and would be pretty upset if we went back to the old system.

Regarding IE: Developers tend to hate IE and it's unfortunate that so many people are still using it, and/or have to use it. I really like this article: http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/01/bootstrapped-startup-saves-over-100k-by-dropping-ie/

Regarding ads: Running a site like this is very very expensive, and unfortunately only those peeps that have experience in running a site with over a million visitors a month can fully comprehend how exponentially more complicated and expensive it is to run a site like this. It isn't just a matter of buying a bunch of $10 hosting accounts on GoDaddy, BlueHost, HostGater, etc. The advertisements on the site are required to ensure the site can be sustainable and handle the activity and the growth. When I took over the site in 2007 after it had been down (404 error) for months, I promised that I'd make sure the site was self-sustaining... and advertising is the only way to provide a free service to millions of people all over the world.

I'd still bet your issues are a result of your browser and/or other plugins on your system. If changing browsers isn't an option, then I'd suggest either purchasing or winning a Golden Feather Membership (12 months for the price of one movie ticket and popcorn) and you can remove the ads completely.

Believe me, I stress about site problems more than any other member ever has or ever will. I have had countless hour meetings, emails, phone calls, etc. with our developers about a myriad of issues and will continue to do so as long as I'm responsible for the well-being of this amazing community!

Had a GFM for over 2 years and was an active GFM member a year ago when I bought the new computer. I know you do not realize it, but there were about 25 of us regular users who didn't renew after the upgrade because it wasn't user-friendly. I shouldn't have to be a computer expert and change all my settings just to get on one website. It's not worth it, especially since I was a paying member. But I do still enjoy the site from time to time, but am still not going to pretend it's user-friendly when it's not. I'm not the only one that feels that way, either... just the only one bold enough to mention it to you.

Again, don't mean to insult. Just know some old users now IRL and on FB who have not renewed for similar reasons. Because this is a good site, it would be a greater injustice to not let others know about these issues when they are having trouble with this site. It's still an informative and interesting site--you just have to find "work arounds" to not have issues with it.

Last edited:
The transition to the new website format was a very difficult period for many users, but it was essential. The site was collapsing, it simply couldn't handle the traffic, the amount of words and pictures being posted, and the underlying complexity of sorting and displaying that information in a personalized way to each registered member. If it hadn't been switched over, it wouldn't exist.

There were things I really liked in the old interface, but unfortunately those couldn't sustain themselves and couldn't translate over.

Nifty and his team really worked hard at making it work for everyone, but you wouldn't believe how difficult that is... making it compatible with dozens of different browsers and browser versions (for example, basic html that worked with IE 6 fails with IE 8, etc.), different platforms (Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 7, various Mac and Linux versions, phones like iPhone, Android, tablets, etc...). From the posts I see here, they've solved 99% of the problems. The remaining issues that come up do seem to be related to issues with individual machines... plugins and add-ons to browsers, along with malware, seem to be the most common cause of problems. That back button problem is almost certainly a local issue, and well worth cleaning up.

Please, do give a try at checking what add-ons you have to IE, and seeing whether you can run Firefox for most sites and just keep IE for those that use IE specific programming. You'll find once the issues get sorted out that this site is at least as good as it ever was. Long time members like you really contribute a lot, I came here as a real chicken newbie and the experienced chickeneers definitely took me under their wing. It's a great place.

I realize I've got more geek in me than many users here, not by training, but because I've always liked tinkering and poking under the hood of things. Still, it's not too hard to make it work well.
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom