Production Red egglaying question

SugarDuck

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Lamar, AR.
We have a couple of 9 month old PR's. Laverne and Shirley, Shirley has been laying for a couple of months now. Laverne has yet to start but seems to be getting close with her pelvic bones being 2 to 3 fingers apart now and almost pliable with a big red comb. Shirley has been laying every day until about 5 days ago. She has suddenly stopped. She still has a big red comb, 3 fingers apart on her pelvic bones and very pliable. She doesn't act any differently. Doesn't seemed distressed. All of our chickens free range all day long. This week has been the coldest so far, they have seen snow for the first time yesterday and we still have it today. We do not give them extra light. We get anywhere from 5 to 7 eggs from 8 chickens that we know can lay an egg. She still eats, she is not listless or seem sick. Could it just be the weather and the lack of extra light? I just want to make sure that she might not be eggbound. What might be some signs of being eggbound that I should look for in her. She does seem to have some black spots on her comb? If needed I can take a picture of her comb. Thanks for any advice and input!

It's fine, as long as she's normal. I don't supply light for mine either and I get a mixed amount of eggs from my 3 production reds. ALWAYS at least one though, ever since the day light shortened. (Used to be one a day) Also, the black spots are most likely fowl pox. It's caused by mosquitos or exposure to infected birds. It's common, and all of my hens have now gotten it and healed. As long as it does not get to the mouth and eyes (wet fowl pox) then you're good. Each of my hens did not lay or slowed down severely when they had the pox.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... The black spots might well be frost bite, which is sometimes the result of too high humidity in the coop, and less likely the result merely of weather. We are -10 almost every night here. No frost bite. Although, I'd admit that the hens who love to roam, simply don't stay out in the snow more than just a few minutes a day. They don't like it.

The lack of eggs. I'd be wary of a few things. Egg eating by someone. I'd also be concerned about laying off site somewhere.
Leave the two birds in question indoors for a few days and take special note of their laying, if any. This takes the egg laying off site away from the equation, but doesn't answer the eating question. For that, you'll have to be more observant of smaller details, like a mess in the laying box or actually have to spy, and catch the culprit in the act.

Being in Florida, I've never delt with frostbite. If it was egg-eating, I'd expect a drasstic decrease in eggs, instead of missing eggs from just one hen and a normal amount from the others. (Laying while ranging is possible, though) Other than that, just keep and eye out.

We thought it might be fowl pox but none of the other chickens have any spots like her maybe one or two spots tops. She has about 6 or 7 and they are small but not large. Some are on the tips and some are on the comb in general. Someone did lay an unusual egg this morning in the coop she stays in, so it might be her working out some issue or maybe her sister decided to lay finally. I let them out of their coops at 7:30 am every morning. It's rare that anyone has laid that early. It does seem to be only her that has gone through a dry spell. We have two other chickens that molted this year. One of them recently started laying every other day. She was a trooper, just wanted to make sure she is ok. I know that chickens can start and stop at any time.

Back
Top Bottom