Production Reds

cackler

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2009
Central Kansas
I don't think that this is a 'breed' particularly, however, I am curious about others experiences with Production Red pullets. I bought 10 of them this past Spring. They started out to be the friendliest chickens that I have ever had. They followed me like a dog, did not seem to be afraid of anything whatsoever, and were also the earliest layers that I have ever had. The differences became apparent a couple of months ago when a couple of them went broody at 4 months of age - which is younger than I have experienced with other breeds. This didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time however, now there are a couple of them setting on eggs somewhere on the farm. We will occasionally catch glimpses of them. We have found a couple of other PR chickens' nests here and there - in ridiculous places such as in between hay bales {where I can't figure out why they would've even ventured in such a tight place in the first place!} and in the walls of an older building, underneath metal in a metal fire ring, etc. ANYplace but the nest boxes in the coop! They are definitely 'productive' but not for human purposes.
rant.gif
Is it just me or is this a "lesson learned"?

I hate my Production Red. She's mean, and she acts like a very mean rooster, so now I have to carry a stick outside with me. She lays nice eggs though.

I''m glad you like your pro reds. There is no "formula" for making these mixed, red birds, so it is quite difficult to make sweeping statements about the various mixes that are called production reds.

As for laying all over the place, the reality is that starting pullets have no idea that you, the keeper, wish them lay in a certain place. None. They'll lay wherever they wish, if allowed to. Thus, I "train" all my starting pullets. I am too old to be doing egg hunts all over the place. LOL

When the pullets come into lay, I keep them cooped up for weeks until I see they've adopted the nests I provide as their own. They need to adopt those nests, and it cannot be forced, but if I make them attractive and natural? The quickly adopt their use. Once I sense they've all gotten into the pattern, I release them to free range, but only after 3 pm. Normally, they've all laid by 1 or 2 pm. Eventually, even free rangers return to the barn and lay in their boxes. Anyhow, enjoy your birds. I sure enjoy our pro red.

Last edited:
That is why I guess they are so different because my other chickens (a mixture of sexlinks, australorpes, orpingtons, rhode islands, california whites, etc.) have layed in the nest boxes in the coop pretty consistently without any training from me (they all free-range) - they all started laying eggs at 6 months or older, only a handfull have ever gone broody.....these silly PR are just soooo different. Banty - that is funny that you say that because there are a couple of these ladies that are mean and bite! lol.

That looks exactly like one of my red sexlinks. They are SO friendly! I wonder if this girl is a sexlink and is included in the "Production Red" selection??

I am a little confused? Or as my friend says infused. IS production reds specific breed ? I thought they were. I was wanting to get some.

Not quite sure what "breed specific" means, but the production red is not a breed. It is an undefined term, altogether. There is no accepted APA breed called the Production Red. It is merely a term used by folks and by hatcheries that simply refers to a generic red bird that is very productive. From there? One sorts things out as best one can.
We have Rhode Island Red "based" birds, birds that do not come close to the Standard of Perfection for the Rhode Island Red breed. They are very productive and bred to be productive. We love them.

Hope that helps.

dang fred i can't get away from ya.
frow.gif

i have the hatchery rhode island red. which is nothing more than a production red. who knows what they are mixed with. mine are very sweet birds. if they are in the nest boxes you can go right under them. they peck a little but nothing more. hatchery birds are bred for egg production. so that should never be an issue.

birds by nature will lay anywhere they feel is a good spot. pullets must be shown and trained to a secure place, like the nesting box. if you make the box comfortable and darker the bird will go there. you can train the bird by penning them up and placing a golf ball or ceramic egg in the box. the bird sees it as if someone laid here it must be a good spot.

now for mean hens. i have no room in my flock for a nasty bird. however with that said, if you do not have a rooster, sometimes the dominant hen will assume the role of the rooster. this could be what is going on with these hens. they may or may not lay an egg. .sometimes the dominant hen when no rooster is present will grow a bigger comb , wattles , crow and mate the other hens.

while i am discussing roosters. the sweetest rooster i have ever had is a hatchery rhode island red. he is in my breeding program. , i want those disposition genes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom