Proper dosage of Duramycin 10?

chickenmanpage

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Mebane NC
Can someone tell me the correct dosage of duramycin 10 to mix into my chickens one gallon drinking water i've been told one tsp and i've also been told one tbsp. I'm afraid to over medicate but I also want to give them enough for it to be effective. Thank You BYC!

Can someone tell me the correct dosage of duramycin 10 to mix into my chickens one gallon drinking water i've been told one tsp and i've also been told one tbsp. I'm afraid to over medicate but I also want to give them enough for it to be effective. Thank You BYC!

Duramycin dosage is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. There's a 21 day withdrawal period.
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

I just spoke with Diane at Durvet, Inc - She informed me that for 800mg dose, mix one gallon of water with 3 teaspoons of the medicine.
I have a peacock that looks like a chipmunk, he is very swollen, I am going to start with an 800mg dose and if it gets better soon, I will go to a 400mg dose.

I called our local vet regarding his eye and was told there was nothing "over the counter", however, because of the internet, I discovered there are many over the counter remedies including an injectable medicine, Tylan 50. The vet said we could bring the peacock in and she could try to asses the issue, but the capture of a full grown peacock is not something I want to consider at this time.

I am going to administer the Duamycin-10 first.

I really hope this works!

I just spoke with Diane at Durvet, Inc - She informed me that for 800mg dose, mix one gallon of water with 3 teaspoons of the medicine.
I have a peacock that looks like a chipmunk, he is very swollen, I am going to start with an 800mg dose and if it gets better soon, I will go to a 400mg dose.

I called our local vet regarding his eye and was told there was nothing "over the counter", however, because of the internet, I discovered there are many over the counter remedies including an injectable medicine, Tylan 50. The vet said we could bring the peacock in and she could try to asses the issue, but the capture of a full grown peacock is not something I want to consider at this time.

I am going to administer the Duamycin-10 first.

I really hope this works!
You're correct. The 800mg dose; 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon per gallon of water as mentioned in post #2. Tylan 50 can be purchased as well as many other antibiotics including penicillin G procaine purchased OTC. Tylan can be found in the cattle section at your feed store. Good luck, hope your peacock gets better.

Hi :) I also just purchased duramycin 10 for my leghorn. I also have 2 rhode island reds that will be treated also. The withdrawal period of 21 days, does that mean do not eat their eggs for 21 days? Also, how many days should I treat my girls? Thanks!

I'm sure the manufactures of this drug know what they are doing. However, if you do the math according to the packaging it works to about 0.5 oz Tetracycline per gallon of water for an 800 mg dose. If a tablespoon is 2 oz then isn't this overkill?

The math is as follows:

The label says 6.4oz will make 12.5 gal containing 800 mg tetracycline. 6.4oz/12.5gal = 0.5 oz/gal.

I'm sure I made a mistake, what is it?

Edit: I answered my own question. The 2 oz in a tablespoon the company sites refers to the weight of the product in the tablespoon. The number I came up with is fluid oz per gal. Is this correct?

Last edited:
What I can't figure out is how to get the right amount for A chicken?! My hen certainly isn't going to drink a gallon of medicated water 2x daily. Am I missing something here or does this info seem to be all about treating a flock rather than a single sick chicken? I suppose you could just do the math for a lesser amount of water but also how are you all measuring by the mg?

Back
Top Bottom