Proper methods for adding to your flock

As I understand you don't have a quarantine facility, I recommend you not add new birds until you do.
I'd recommend adding chicks from a reputable hatchery or breeder, then quarantine isn't necessary.

My bigger concern seeing your set up however is you don't have coop space for more birds, and possibly not enough run space (though I don't know the measurements). Were there any plans to increase the size of coop and run? Integration, whether dealing with chicks or adults, favors extra space.

I'd recommend adding chicks from a reputable hatchery or breeder, then quarantine isn't necessary.

My bigger concern seeing your set up however is you don't have coop space for more birds, and possibly not enough run space (though I don't know the measurements). Were there any plans to increase the size of coop and run? Integration, whether dealing with chicks or adults, favors extra space.

I quarantine regardless - its just good practice, but i have more space than most, and a portable PVC "pen"/run that's suitable for keeping new additions contained but separated.

I quarantine regardless - its just good practice, but i have more space than most, and a portable PVC "pen"/run that's suitable for keeping new additions contained but separated.
You definitely have more space than most!

I favor ease of early integration so am willing to take the smaller biosecurity risk of housing newly purchased chicks in the same run with adults.

You definitely have more space than most!

I favor ease of early integration so am willing to take the smaller biosecurity risk of housing newly purchased chicks in the same run with adults.
Its all risk management - no perfect answers, just differing balances for differing situations and differing goals.

also, from your picture, you have a very nice, very small, very expensive space for your chickens. In a way, I'm envious - but as a practical matter, that's what, 4' x 12'? The grow out pen for my littles is almost that size, and they have an attached run that's 16' x 20'. Not as predator protected, I admit, but it emphasizes practicality over appearance (though unlike most, you've got a lot of practical in that design - it deserves acknowledgment.
The run area is 10×13, the coop is 3×6. Eggs are laid in the coop, they sleep and shelter in the coop, but mostly they hang out in the run. We went with Omlet because we aren't handy, and wanted something we could add onto later. Clear tarps are up for winter, and in the summer I will take the tarps off of the sides and leave them on the roof. The girls have plenty of room, they huddle together most of the time anyway. And we have a large yard that they can free range in once the snow melts.

The run is 13×10. You're only seeing part of the area.

They really do have a lot of room, in my opinion
20220213_095841.jpg

Coop at 3x6 is large enough for 4 birds at the recommended 4sq ft per bird. If you add another small coop in your run, you could have up to 13 chickens with 130sq feet (10 per bird). You could then brood 4 chicks indoors, add them to their coop at 4 weeks, and integrate together in the run once they’ve been in their coop for a few days, giving the babies a place to run & hide from the big girls as needed. To me this would be easier than adult integration and quarantine. If you brood inside for 4 weeks you can skip the quarantine and move them right into their own coop.

Thinking of the chicks idea, we have a rabbit cage we could use. We could keep the chicks indoors with a heat source, and handle them so they're gentle and tame. And when they get to be about 6 weeks old or so, we could place the rabbit cage in the run, and cover it with a blanket at night for a couple of weeks until they're ready to join the others. I'm thinking 2 or 3. Would that work?

Coop at 3x6 is large enough for 4 birds at the recommended 4sq ft per bird. If you add another small coop in your run, you could have up to 13 chickens with 130sq feet (10 per bird). You could then brood 4 chicks indoors, add them to their coop at 4 weeks, and integrate together in the run once they’ve been in their coop for a few days, giving the babies a place to run & hide from the big girls as needed. To me this would be easier than adult integration and quarantine. If you brood inside for 4 weeks you can skip the quarantine and move them right into their own coop.
They all roost on a bar that goes across the length of the coop, and don't seem to use much of the space. At once time we had six together, and there was plenty of room for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom