Proper methods for adding to your flock

Pics

galaga6846

Songster
Dec 28, 2021
Des Moines IA
I would like to add a couple more chickens to our tiny flock of four. The poultry veterinarian advised us not to add any more chickens to an established flock. She says that this can cause some problems that we may not feel like dealing with. But I don't think four is enough to keep us from buying eggs from other sources. We are a family of four.

I've heard of the 30 day quarantine, but I just don't like the idea of keeping chickens in a cage for 30 days. How does one safely quarantine new chickens before entering them into the flock? I'm thinking about putting a rabbit cage in the Run, and letting the new chickens Hangout in the cage. Is this how it's done? Thank you.

Welcome to BYC. Many of us have added either new adults or chicks to existing flocks successfully.

Here are some useful articles on integration:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

The first thing, however, is to make sure that you have enough space for integration. Integration generally takes more space than these recommended minimums:

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Here is one of my personal experiences: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24483513

And my integration pen: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mini-coop-or-integration-pen-from-a-large-dog-crate.76593/

Space is the key issue. And a rule of thumb is count the number of people eating eggs and add 2, so a couple more birds would be good.

Can you get laying hens? Or are you starting with chicks? They are very different strategies depending on the size of the birds, and the SPACE.

Many, many times when people come here, they have a pre-fab coop that 'says' it will hold 6 birds, but really they don't, and they would be a nightmare to try and integrate two new birds into it. If you have one of those, I agree with the vet, and don't add birds.

To have six birds, you really need a a coop about 4 feet by 6 feet. A fair size building. So a few pictures of your set up, can help us give you advice.

Mrs K

I would like to add a couple more chickens to our tiny flock of four. The poultry veterinarian advised us not to add any more chickens to an established flock. She says that this can cause some problems that we may not feel like dealing with. But I don't think four is enough to keep us from buying eggs from other sources. We are a family of four.

I've heard of the 30 day quarantine, but I just don't like the idea of keeping chickens in a cage for 30 days. How does one safely quarantine new chickens before entering them into the flock? I'm thinking about putting a rabbit cage in the Run, and letting the new chickens Hangout in the cage. Is this how it's done? Thank you.
30days that's a long time I do 14 and my flock is fine
I would put the cage outside of your run putting it in the run is not quarantine

I've heard of the 30 day quarantine, but I just don't like the idea of keeping chickens in a cage for 30 days. How does one safely quarantine new chickens before entering them into the flock? I'm thinking about putting a rabbit cage in the Run, and letting the new chickens Hangout in the cage. Is this how it's done?

Quarantine is keeping the new chickens completely separate, so you can see if they have any diseases, before letting them have any contact with the rest of your flock.

Putting the new chickens inside the run, no matter what kind of enclosure they are in, is NOT quarantine. Germs and parasites can easily pass from one group to another if you try that.

But a cage inside the run can be very useful AFTER quarantine (or if you decide to skip quarantine.) Putting the new chickens in the cage, inside the run, lets the two groups see each other and start to interact, but they cannot injure or bully each other. This is a good way to start introducing the chickens to each other.

If you buy adult chickens, quarantine before adding them to your flock can be useful.
If you buy newly hatched chicks, there is usually no need to quarantine them. Raising them right next to the flock can help you integrate them at a young age, as suggested in some of the articles linked by @3KillerBs

And yes, I agree with the other people who recommend you double-check the amount of space available, before you make a final decision about adding new chickens.

Just piggybacking on what a few others have said.

Makes a difference if you're talking about chicks from a reputable hatchery, or older birds. I would not quarantine the chicks as the hatcheries are really big on biosecurity, but quarantine would be advisable otherwise.

What you're proposing is see but no touch, which is part of integration, but NOT medical quarantine. This is what medical quarantine entails: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/ . If you cannot properly quarantine (lack of space, lack of facilities) then there's no point in "quarantining" at all, as neither group of chickens will be protected.

You will still need to integrate the birds, regardless if they're adults or chicks, quarantine or no.

We only have 4 right now, so if anything happened to one of them it would be terrible. I don't have an extra coop to contain new birds for a quarantine. The last time we got a new bird we threw her in, and they got along as if she had been there the whole time. It was really quite sweet and surprising. It's a daunting task to quarantine new chickens, so much so that it's making me rethink the whole idea. We eat a lot of eggs, and I don't think 4 is gonna cut it.

Space is the key issue. And a rule of thumb is count the number of people eating eggs and add 2, so a couple more birds would be good.

Can you get laying hens? Or are you starting with chicks? They are very different strategies depending on the size of the birds, and the SPACE.

Many, many times when people come here, they have a pre-fab coop that 'says' it will hold 6 birds, but really they don't, and they would be a nightmare to try and integrate two new birds into it. If you have one of those, I agree with the vet, and don't add birds.

To have six birds, you really need a a coop about 4 feet by 6 feet. A fair size building. So a few pictures of your set up, can help us give you advice.

Mrs K

20211027_163847.jpg

as our experts @3KillerBs @Mrs. K @NatJ @rosemarythyme have said, Integration is best performed "see and be seen", and ABUNDANCE is a lubricant. Abundance of space, abundance of food, abundance of water.

Integration and Biosecurity aren't remotely related, however. Before integrating, you must first quarantine - and if your quarantine facilities aren't big enough for a month-long stay, they aren't big enough for integration, either.

As I understand you don't have a quarantine facility, I recommend you not add new birds until you do.

also, from your picture, you have a very nice, very small, very expensive space for your chickens. In a way, I'm envious - but as a practical matter, that's what, 4' x 12'? The grow out pen for my littles is almost that size, and they have an attached run that's 16' x 20'. Not as predator protected, I admit, but it emphasizes practicality over appearance (though unlike most, you've got a lot of practical in that design - it deserves acknowledgment.

Back
Top Bottom