Proper methods for adding to your flock

I would like to add a couple more chickens to our tiny flock of four. The poultry veterinarian advised us not to add any more chickens to an established flock. She says that this can cause some problems that we may not feel like dealing with. But I don't think four is enough to keep us from buying eggs from other sources. We are a family of four.

I've heard of the 30 day quarantine, but I just don't like the idea of keeping chickens in a cage for 30 days. How does one safely quarantine new chickens before entering them into the flock? I'm thinking about putting a rabbit cage in the Run, and letting the new chickens Hangout in the cage. Is this how it's done? Thank you.
add them at night they will be ok the next day and be fine I have been doing this all the time for over 50 years not had any problems

I'm surprised to hear that you know of a poultry vet. It's rare to find a vet in my area that would deal with chickens. Even more surprised that they would discourage someone from getting more chickens, unless there have been problems with keeping the existing flock.

They all roost on a bar that goes across the length of the coop, and don't seem to use much of the space. At once time we had six together, and there was plenty of room for everyone.
Building on the rabbit cage you mentioned earlier, it can be raised off the ground so the chicks can still use the space underneath and roost inside at night. I built a raised “box”about 3x3x4 inside one of my runs (main coop is connected to run via tunnel) and a couple hens use it to lay in the nest box plus a Silkie went broody and is now staying separate from the others. (Last time she went broody I had her in a store bought coop that shared one wall with a run). I much prefer the setup inside the run. Use the vertical space you already have. I’ve got a 10x12 shed I use for “quarantine” but it’s really a grow out area for chicks I hatch in incubator. Currently have 60 chickens consisting of Bielefelders, Silkies, Leghorns, Buckeyes, barnvelders, ausrtalorps, golden laced Wyandottes, barred rocks, Easter Egger, with 16 week old mixed breeds (Bielefelder or Silkie rooster, various hens) and 30 mixed eggs in the incubator.

You just posted the update while I was typing, but I'm going to throw this out in case anyone else comes across the post.

I've read through the five pages of posts and need to ask a few questions that probably should have been addressed up front. What breed(s) do you have now and what are you looking to add? There's a big difference in space requirements between Brahmas and Ameracuanas.

Secondly, where are you looking to source your new birds (assuming adults)? A flea market or chicken swap? Des Moines Craigslist? Someone within a couple miles of your home? This will have a huge bearing on how long you quarantine.

The quarantine is to protect your existing flock from new pathogens. Acclimating a new bird is the easier end of the stick. 3 to 5 days of distanced isolation with fresh bedding and bleached/sterilized equipment...monitoring for any signs of disease or injury. You then begin to gradually introduce the new bird to your ecology by taking litter from your existing run and coop and adding it to the isolated environment to allow the new bird's immune system to strengthen. Add more litter every couple days and if you have no set backs, you're ready to introduce the new bird(s) at 12-14 days.

Put the new bird(s) in a wire cage in the run AT FEEDING TIME. This is the most stressful social situation for the integrated flock. Everyone eats together but without risk of physical altercation. Do this until everyone eats peacefully and ignores each other. Finally, you integrate the flock after dark. Put the new bird(s) on the roost in the coop on the lowest rung or at the end.

The next couple days will be testy. Don't be a helicopter mom. Birds have been integrating for thousands of years. They'll set their pecking order and calm will return quickly if it's done without human intervention.

You just posted the update while I was typing, but I'm going to throw this out in case anyone else comes across the post.

I've read through the five pages of posts and need to ask a few questions that probably should have been addressed up front. What breed(s) do you have now and what are you looking to add? There's a big difference in space requirements between Brahmas and Ameracuanas.

Secondly, where are you looking to source your new birds (assuming adults)? A flea market or chicken swap? Des Moines Craigslist? Someone within a couple miles of your home? This will have a huge bearing on how long you quarantine.

The quarantine is to protect your existing flock from new pathogens. Acclimating a new bird is the easier end of the stick. 3 to 5 days of distanced isolation with fresh bedding and bleached/sterilized equipment...monitoring for any signs of disease or injury. You then begin to gradually introduce the new bird to your ecology by taking litter from your existing run and coop and adding it to the isolated environment to allow the new bird's immune system to strengthen. Add more litter every couple days and if you have no set backs, you're ready to introduce the new bird(s) at 12-14 days.

Put the new bird(s) in a wire cage in the run AT FEEDING TIME. This is the most stressful social situation for the integrated flock. Everyone eats together but without risk of physical altercation. Do this until everyone eats peacefully and ignores each other. Finally, you integrate the flock after dark. Put the new bird(s) on the roost in the coop on the lowest rung or at the end.

The next couple days will be testy. Don't be a helicopter mom. Birds have been integrating for thousands of years. They'll set their pecking order and calm will return quickly if it's done without human intervention.
I have decided that I'm getting babies from Cackle. Black Copper Marans, Buff Orpington, and Black Lace Wyandotte. Since I'm raising them in a brooder, I will add them to the flock when the weather warms up a bit. My chickens graze from a feeder, there isn't a specific feeding time, though they do get some veggie scraps and corn/mealworms a couple times a day. The last time I introduced a newbie it was in the middle of their night after they had gone to bed. However, this time I will have a separate coop and section of the run for them, and I will open it up when I feel everyone is comfortable and ready.

Space is the key issue. And a rule of thumb is count the number of people eating eggs and add 2, so a couple more birds would be good.

Can you get laying hens? Or are you starting with chicks? They are very different strategies depending on the size of the birds, and the SPACE.

Many, many times when people come here, they have a pre-fab coop that 'says' it will hold 6 birds, but really they don't, and they would be a nightmare to try and integrate two new birds into it. If you have one of those, I agree with the vet, and don't add birds.

To have six birds, you really need a a coop about 4 feet by 6 feet. A fair size building. So a few pictures of your set up, can help us give you advice.

Mrs K
This is my first year with my "Girls". I can concur with Mrs K 100 percent! My husband bought me a pre-fab coop from Tractor Supply months before I had my chicks. The coop plainly stated it was suited for up to 6 chickens. It took less than 30 days for me to realize that was a falsehood. I started with 7 chickens. No where enough room for 3, let alone 7. Hence, we built another coop and attached it to the one from Tractor Supply ( wasn't wasting hubby's money...that thing cost almost $400).

If any new member has Mareks ,you won’t know in 30 days,unless they have blindness Or something obvious.
If newly vaccinated mereks,you can’t visit both groups,no one can, without spreading to the 2 week quarentine.Same house very hard.Friend house better,you can’t go visit.
The more you add separately ,the higher chance you’ll get,.never pet the chicks in store,then go home either.I peek though.
Pullets are even worse,because you have to trust they quarantined properly after vaccine.
Yes,I’ve had Mareks from careless breeder,Chicken scratch,in Illinois.
4 died same age heart Mareks,.
Others had leg paralysis,and one pullet came blind.2 others are just ok.Out of 8 1 is ok.Bought different time.Didn’t know Mareks until later.
They all lay eggs,the one with the weak legs recovered 3 weeks,you have help eat,give sugar water,,then it goes dormant.
lots of anti inflammatorys.( mobic)This keeps tumors from growing.The remaining 3 out of 4 get it everyday..They lay eggs act normal.
My properly vaccine and quarantined 6 hens,from Cackle,have never got it.They we’re the originals.
Getting new chicks are fun,do your homework,Listen to your vet,how to do safely.if they get it,no you don’t have to kill them,the others already would have been exposed anyway.
Though,my old and new are different coops.Play same area .This matters,a little.
integration best done with divider fence few weeks.

This is my first year with my "Girls". I can concur with Mrs K 100 percent! My husband bought me a pre-fab coop from Tractor Supply months before I had my chicks. The coop plainly stated it was suited for up to 6 chickens. It took less than 30 days for me to realize that was a falsehood. I started with 7 chickens. No where enough room for 3, let alone 7. Hence, we built another coop and attached it to the one from Tractor Supply ( wasn't wasting hubby's money...that thing cost almost $400).
Currently I have 4 and I've had as many as 6, and there is more than enough room in their 3×6 prefab. They huddle and cuddle. I installed a roosting bar across the top from one side to the other, and they all sleep up there.

Currently I have 4 and I've had as many as 6, and there is more than enough room in their 3×6 prefab. They huddle and cuddle. I installed a roosting bar across the top from one side to the other, and they all sleep up there.
But.....integrating new birds works best with extra space.

Is the prefab 3x6' the coop and run, or just the coop?

Back
Top Bottom