Pros and cons of organic vs nonorganic?

If you want to boycott Monsanto because you are against big corporations and would rather support small scale and local farming then that is fine. We are small scale farmers, support us! :) But there is scientific consensus that GM crops are just as safe as conventional crops, and when there is scientific consensus on something we, the general public, should trust that it is right - until proven otherwise with credible peer reviewed evidence. All of the best quality, large scale, controlled trials show no cause for concern for the GM crop varieties that have been approved for use. If there is ever a problem detected then it wouldn't get approved. Instead they would continue researching to sort out the kinks and make sure it is safe and does what it's supposed to do. People need to have more trust in science and the peer review process. Scientists are not all evil and trying to destroy the world through GMO's, vaccines or modern medicine.

QUOTE:

'Every major international science body in the world has reviewed multiple independent studies—in some cases numbering in the hundreds—in coming to the consensus conclusion that GMO crops are as safe or safer than conventional or organic foods.......

a team of Italian scientists summarized 1783 studies about the safety and environmental impacts of GMO foods—a staggering number.
The researchers couldn’t find a single credible example demonstrating that GM foods pose any harm to humans or animals. “The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically engineered crops,” the scientists concluded.'

2000+ Reasons Why GMO's Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonenti...-safe-to-eat-and-environmentally-sustainable/

Last edited:
If you want to boycott Monsanto because you are against big corporations and would rather support small scale and local farming then that is fine. We are small scale farmers, support us! :) But there is scientific consensus that GM crops are just as safe as conventional crops, and when there is scientific consensus on something we, the general public, should trust that it is right - until proven otherwise with credible peer reviewed evidence. All of the best quality, large scale, controlled trials show no cause for concern for the GM crop varieties that have been approved for use. If there is ever a problem detected then it wouldn't get approved. Instead they would continue researching to sort out the kinks and make sure it is safe and does what it's supposed to do. People need to have more trust in science and the peer review process. Scientists are not all evil and trying to destroy the world through GMO's, vaccines or modern medicine.

QUOTE:

'Every major international science body in the world has reviewed multiple independent studies—in some cases numbering in the hundreds—in coming to the consensus conclusion that GMO crops are as safe or safer than conventional or organic foods.......

a team of Italian scientists summarized 1783 studies about the safety and environmental impacts of GMO foods—a staggering number.
The researchers couldn’t find a single credible example demonstrating that GM foods pose any harm to humans or animals. “The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically engineered crops,” the scientists concluded.'

2000+ Reasons Why GMO's Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonenti...-safe-to-eat-and-environmentally-sustainable/

Have you met our USDA & government? Is this why Europe & many other countries have banned GMOs? Are you looking forward to not only Roundup by 2,4-D being poured on the crops again? More power to you, now where is MY choice?

Have you met our USDA & government? Is this why Europe & many other countries have banned GMOs? Are you looking forward to not only Roundup by 2,4-D being poured on the crops again? More power to you, now where is MY choice?
The fact that some countries have banned GMO's does not prove they are harmful. Russia has just brought in a new anti-gay law, does that make it right? In some countries men are allowed to kill their wives/sisters/daughters if they believe they have dishonored the family, does that make them right?

You don't have to like gmo's or pesticides. You can use organic methods if that is what you want. You can buy organic if that is what you want. You do have choices.

Last edited:
The fact that some countries have banned GMO's does not prove they are harmful. Russia has just brought in a new anti-gay law, does that make it right? In some countries men are allowed to kill their wives/sisters/daughters if they believe they have dishonored the family, does that make them right?

You don't have to like gmo's or pesticides. You can use organic methods if that is what you want. You can buy organic if that is what you want. You do have choices.

The fact that our bought & paid for government has said they are safe doesn't mean they are........your points are INVALID. There is not much choice for organic since the government took that over & made exceptions for the big Ag companies. Why are they afraid to label them??? If they are so healthy & yummy, what's the problem? Are they afraid of consumers actually having a choice? I buy local grass fed meat. I buy organic when it is possible. I grow chickens & a garden without using chemicals. I remember the commercials from the government showing happy families sitting at picnic tables & being sprayed with DDT. I remember the safe Agent Orange being sprayed on our troops in Vietnam. How'd that all work out? At least my parents were not stupid in the 50's and made us go inside when the DDT trucks came by. If you like corporate & government control of your food supply, keep supporting GMO foods.

Other countries did not ban them because they were proven to be harmful. They were banned due to public outrage. The governments then used the very real concern that GMOs have not been sufficiently studied by outside sources. They have not proven that they are harmful, but they have not proven that they are not harmful either. Most of those countries will alow GMOs after more research. If proven.
I'm a fan of local, natural, and true organic food. But. In business it's normally bad business to kill your customers. Or make them infertile. It puts a damper on future profits.
Monsonto is all about profits but remember the "Organic powers that be" have a lot to gain from tearing them down. And because of capitalist empires that have support from folks in DC, the organic market is one of the last open markets. And it's a hawk eats chicken world out there!
Just keep things in prospective, and support your local small farms if it's possible.

The fact that our bought & paid for government has said they are safe doesn't mean they are........your points are INVALID. There is not much choice for organic since the government took that over & made exceptions for the big Ag companies. Why are they afraid to label them??? If they are so healthy & yummy, what's the problem? Are they afraid of consumers actually having a choice? I buy local grass fed meat. I buy organic when it is possible. I grow chickens & a garden without using chemicals. I remember the commercials from the government showing happy families sitting at picnic tables & being sprayed with DDT. I remember the safe Agent Orange being sprayed on our troops in Vietnam. How'd that all work out? At least my parents were not stupid in the 50's and made us go inside when the DDT trucks came by. If you like corporate & government control of your food supply, keep supporting GMO foods.
It's not just the US government that is claiming they are safe. There is scientific consensus from around the world. Do you know what that means? Every major scientific organization from around the world has independently looked at the research and came to the conclusion that there is no evidence that GM crops are any less safe than conventional or organic farming. The biggest difference between organic and conventional/ GM produce is the price!

If you think organic farming is the bees knees, think again. -

Hi all, degree in agriculture from The Ohio State University and a lifetime on the farm. Before the evil GMO's we sprayed the ground before planting to kill any weeds there. We then came in after emergence of the crop (for us primarily corn and soy beans) and sprayed again. There were basically three types of herbicide, one that killed anything, one that killed broad leaves (soy is a broadleaf), and one that killed grasses (corn is a grass). What I am saying is that we sprayed more often and with exactly some of the same herbicides that are used on GMO corn and beans. After emergence of corn we sprayed for broadleaf weeds, and after emergence of beans we over-sprayed to kill the grasses. We couldn't take the broadleaf weeds out of the beans or the grasses out of the corn. For production agriculture and even many small farms GMO's have been a wonderful thing. I don't worry about eating any animal that has been fed such grain.
On the other hand I am now retired and lease the farm. GMO's are planted and that's fine with me. BUT...I eat primarily Paleo and am raising my own flock for eggs and meat. I grow a large garden for fresh, dare I say it :D organic veggies, and plan on fencing 20 acres of pasture behind the house (next summer's project) so that I can raise a few grass fed beef!
I think that people, OK some people, care very much about their family and what they feed them. I can't imagine a subject more prone to emotional argument other than politics and religion! I doubt very much that GMO grains pose a problem when consumed, but if you care to eat differently that is obviously your choice. I really don't care what you eat or feed your chooks. I really hope that the organic health movement prospers and survives as it would allow the future of the small family owned farm to look far less bleak! I choose not to eat grains and feel better at 55 than I have in the last 35 years, people think that's odd. I don't care - I do what is right for me, and believe everyone should do the same.
I just want people to understand, after reading so many posts where people seem worried about what is sprayed on crops, GMO or not, really very little difference!

If you want to boycott Monsanto because you are against big corporations and would rather support small scale and local farming then that is fine. We are small scale farmers, support us! :) But there is scientific consensus that GM crops are just as safe as conventional crops, and when there is scientific consensus on something we, the general public, should trust that it is right - until proven otherwise with credible peer reviewed evidence.  All of the best quality, large scale, controlled trials show no cause for concern for the GM crop varieties that have been approved for use. If there is ever a problem detected then it wouldn't get approved. Instead they would continue researching to sort out the kinks and make sure it is safe and does what it's supposed to do. People need to have more trust in science and the peer review process. Scientists are not all evil and trying to destroy the world through GMO's, vaccines or modern medicine.

One, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Not all GMO organisms are the same - it is a broad term. No self respecting student of science would declare "all GMO food to be safe". Many of us would rather depend on a diverse and demonstrated (time) healthy food base.

Two, this argument misses the other critical point directed at Monsanto and bioengineered plants: it is folly to allow our nation's food production to become dependent on patented engineered crops.

Personally I would rather see the country move away from large, centralized agribusiness and back towards small, decentralized, more diverse food production. For reasons of food safety, health, environment, and economics. And I shall do my part in helping that paradigm shift by my own food production as well as by my consumer spending.

Here is a pro for organic feed.
With GMO feeds the feed company may get their feed from many different farmers who may use many different pesticides. But for example using a Certified Organic hicken farmer...that farmer will always get his feed from a Certified Organic grower. If you really want to dig in and do some research you'll be able to find the exact farm where the feed was produced and what pesticides if any and what regulations the feed was grown under. Of course we would all choose to eat clean and organic if the price tag was equal.

Hi all, degree in agriculture from The Ohio State University and a lifetime on the farm. Before the evil GMO's we sprayed the ground before planting to kill any weeds there. We then came in after emergence of the crop (for us primarily corn and soy beans) and sprayed again. There were basically three types of herbicide, one that killed anything, one that killed broad leaves (soy is a broadleaf), and one that killed grasses (corn is a grass). What I am saying is that we sprayed more often and with exactly some of the same herbicides that are used on GMO corn and beans. After emergence of corn we sprayed for broadleaf weeds, and after emergence of beans we over-sprayed to kill the grasses. We couldn't take the broadleaf weeds out of the beans or the grasses out of the corn. For production agriculture and even many small farms GMO's have been a wonderful thing. I don't worry about eating any animal that has been fed such grain.
On the other hand I am now retired and lease the farm. GMO's are planted and that's fine with me. BUT...I eat primarily Paleo and am raising my own flock for eggs and meat. I grow a large garden for fresh, dare I say it
big_smile.png
organic veggies, and plan on fencing 20 acres of pasture behind the house (next summer's project) so that I can raise a few grass fed beef!
I think that people, OK some people, care very much about their family and what they feed them. I can't imagine a subject more prone to emotional argument other than politics and religion! I doubt very much that GMO grains pose a problem when consumed, but if you care to eat differently that is obviously your choice. I really don't care what you eat or feed your chooks. I really hope that the organic health movement prospers and survives as it would allow the future of the small family owned farm to look far less bleak! I choose not to eat grains and feel better at 55 than I have in the last 35 years, people think that's odd. I don't care - I do what is right for me, and believe everyone should do the same.
I just want people to understand, after reading so many posts where people seem worried about what is sprayed on crops, GMO or not, really very little difference!

Good post. Unfortunately the farmer that farms my FIL's field beside me sprayed before Roundup ready corn & will spray more after it is up. The fact that weeds are already immune to Round-Up is a bad thing. Bringing back the widespread use of 2,4-D is a bad thing IMHO. The fact that a handful of companies control everything is a problem. The lack of biodiversity in crops is a bad thing. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom