protecting the flock in desert heat

maranda

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Bermuda dunes, ca
Hi friends:) I have 6 young girls right now and we are trying to figure out the best way to build a coop/ run to protect them in the palm desert heat. We have a prefab coop set up now, but are purchasing a 10 ×10 dog run to give them more space. We are not sure what to use as roofing...would shade screening work or something that produces more shade? Also, does anyone have things they have tried in the heat that have worked to keep there flock cool in 100+ weather? we want to make sure our girls thrive, not just survive the summer heat:) Thank you in advance for your advice!

I suggest shade cloth--I got 70%, also is it possible there to plant things that grow fast and shade the south side.....I have set up fans, and given ice in the water. There are lots of threads discussing dealing w heat, do a search.....

Hi friends:) I have 6 young girls right now and we are trying to figure out the best way to build a coop/ run to protect them in the palm desert heat. We have a prefab coop set up now, but are purchasing a 10 ×10 dog run to give them more space. We are not sure what to use as roofing...would shade screening work or something that produces more shade? Also, does anyone have things they have tried in the heat that have worked to keep there flock cool in 100+ weather? we want to make sure our girls thrive, not just survive the summer heat:) Thank you in advance for your advice!
I'd give them the deepest (all day) shade you can create.
Electrolytes can be a huge help...as can a misting system in your desert climate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/22353290/?q=hot+weather&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Back
Top Bottom