Pullet hurt leg or hip, can’t lay down, nor stand up right

Rebecca Neely

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
I have an about week old rhode island red pullet. The other day i noticed that she couldn’t stand up right and she kept falling into the feeder. She keeps shifting her weight forward when standing and then flips forward. We ruled out sprayed leg. She has a raw spot on the hip area and it hurts her to have light pressure on it. She can’t lay down and sleep comfortably because it has to be fully extended and she wants to straighten her legs all the way.
The picture has the raw spot sorta visible and her straightening it. I can also post a link to a video of her flipping over if needed. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 15
Can you feel if the tendon is slipped?

She may have suffered some type of injury if there's a raw area.

You can try making a chick chair for her to see if she's more comfortable. This will get her upright and allow her to rest without having to put weight on her leg.

I'd also start her on vitamin B-Complex, 1/4 tablet daily to help offer leg support. Do your best to encourage her to stay hydrated and eating.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Can you feel if the tendon is slipped?

She may have suffered some type of injury if there's a raw area.

You can try making a chick chair for her to see if she's more comfortable. This will get her upright and allow her to rest without having to put weight on her leg.

I'd also start her on vitamin B-Complex, 1/4 tablet daily to help offer leg support. Do your best to encourage her to stay hydrated and eating.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thanks for the advice! not sure if it is or not, it seems more up high in the hip region than where the normal tendon sleep happens. right now we are letting her figure it out in her own box because getting her in the chair was hurting her. I’ll look into the b complex

Back
Top Bottom