Pullet very hard to wake up and when she does, she is limp

Winter1

Chirping
Nov 29, 2015
Virgina, USA
So for the past 2-3 days I noticed that my silkie pullet , Bluemoon (not the beer, she is named after a model horse) has a hard time waking up. When I touch her to make sure she is ok she only gives out a couple little chirps and if I pick her up she doesn't really react much. If I set her down she kind of just lays back down with her head close to the ground.And once she is awake she doesn't walk, just stands there. The after a minute she is fine but still a little slow.And for a skiddish chicken like her I was surprised that she didn't try to run away when I go to toch her.
I'm super paranoid about the health of my chickens.Should I be concerned? If you have any questions about her I will be glad to awnser.

And also I noticed my chickens are fairly skinny and they seem to be eating/ drinking ok but I can bearly feel anything in their crop. The only chicken that isn't skinny is my bantam Wyandotte pullet. Any ideas?

Last edited:
How old are your chickens, and what type of feed are you giving them? Has your sick pullet ben eating and drinking, and does she have any loose droppings or blood in her poop? Does she appear hunched or puffed up?

Well our chickens are kind of mixed ages, I had some that were hatched last summer and some that I believe we're hatches early last spring. Right now we are giving them chick feed because of our small silkies. Should I get adult feed? Yes she has been eating and drinking. There may be ( not sure)some loose droppings but I see no blood anywhere. It just looks like she is laying down and sleeping. During the day she walks around in the run but is just a little bit slower.

Last edited:
Chick feed is fine for a mixed age flock, and has plenty of protein. Flock raiser feed is almost identical with slightly larger crumbles, and is commonly fed to flocks, but with either of those, layers should have free choice of a calcium supplement available. You might want to give your sick silkie a 5 day treatment of Corid for possible coccidiosis. Since worms may also be a problem, you could worm them with Valbazen 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml orally for regular size hens, then repeat it in 10 days. Probiotics or a bit of plain yogurt may be good added to the feed.

OMG NOW SHE LIMP AND CANT EVEN LIFT HER HEAD!!!!! SHE CANT STAND WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!? I have her inside now trying to get a little bit of water in her with the treatment for coccidiosis. Just bearly dripping water in her mouth and she is swallowing it.

Do you have liquid Corid or powder Corid? You need to get some of the concentrated Corid into her, 1-2 drops twice a day. If you have the powder, put 1 1/2 tsp of the powder into 2 tsp of water, and that will equal the concentrated liquid Corid, if that makes since. Then make sure that she is drinking enough. You could also tube feed her if you want to learn how. How has she been doing the last few days? Does she seem like she is paralyzed? Mareks disease could be a problem, but extreme dehydration will sometimes look the same.

Ok. We have the liquid corid. She just seems really weak. She can bearly gift her head. But she can flap her wings a lot! I thought she was getting better but when I went to put them up this afternoon she was laying under the coop very limp. my mom offered her some food and she took a couple bites. So scence then we have been dripping some water into her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom