Pure Ameraucana?

BigMM

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a few pure Ameraucana pullets, I want to confirm that they look true to breed. Thanks!
BFEC4191-A3B0-47C2-AE40-7E7EFD31B895.jpeg

2x Blue and 1x Splash

Last edited:
First my disclaimer: I am learning and do NOT profess to have any real experience! (Except, of course, having had the pleasure of Snowflake's company for awhile and her genes throughout my current flock. See my avatar at left ;)

That said, I went in search of info that might confirm or deny your birds are Ameraucanas. (Oh BTW, congrats on using the correct spelling!)
The American Poultry Association publishes 'standards' they look for in certain accepted breeds, including Ameraucanas. I've listed them below, with the link. But bottom line, you know they are Ameraucanas when: 1) they lay blue eggs, 2) they have a pea comb, and 3) they have muffs and beards, but NO ear tufts.

http://www.ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Standard
Ameraucana Shape (Bantam & Large Fowl Females)
COMB: Pea.
BEAK: Curved.
FACE: Nearly hidden by muffs.
EYES: Expressive.
WATTLES: Small, preferably absent.
EARLOBES: Small.
MUFFS AND BEARD: Full, well-rounded, medium length.
HEAD: Medium size.
NECK: Medium length.
HACKLE: Full.
BACK: Medium length.
CUSHION: Moderate.
TAIL: Medium length, well spread, carried at 40º angle above horizontal.
WINGS: Fairly prominent, carried above the hock joint.
BREAST: Full.
BODY AND STEARN: Full but trim, fluff well-tucked up.
LEGS AND TOES: Medium length, four toes.

They look fine for purebreds, but the mint colored eggs might indicate otherwise. Another thing to look at is skin color, which shows if you look at the undersides of the feet. White/pinkish white is what Ameraucanas should have. Easter eggers should have yellowish color in that area.

First my disclaimer: I am learning and do NOT profess to have any real experience! (Except, of course, having had the pleasure of Snowflake's company for awhile and her genes throughout my current flock. See my avatar at left ;)

That said, I went in search of info that might confirm or deny your birds are Ameraucanas. (Oh BTW, congrats on using the correct spelling!)
The American Poultry Association publishes 'standards' they look for in certain accepted breeds, including Ameraucanas. I've listed them below, with the link. But bottom line, you know they are Ameraucanas when: 1) they lay blue eggs, 2) they have a pea comb, and 3) they have muffs and beards, but NO ear tufts.

http://www.ameraucana.org/Ameraucana Standard
Ameraucana Shape (Bantam & Large Fowl Females)
COMB: Pea.
BEAK: Curved.
FACE: Nearly hidden by muffs.
EYES: Expressive.
WATTLES: Small, preferably absent.
EARLOBES: Small.
MUFFS AND BEARD: Full, well-rounded, medium length.
HEAD: Medium size.
NECK: Medium length.
HACKLE: Full.
BACK: Medium length.
CUSHION: Moderate.
TAIL: Medium length, well spread, carried at 40º angle above horizontal.
WINGS: Fairly prominent, carried above the hock joint.
BREAST: Full.
BODY AND STEARN: Full but trim, fluff well-tucked up.
LEGS AND TOES: Medium length, four toes.
Appreciate the info Barnyard Chaos😁

Their tail shape is not quite right, but overall not bad. Maybe hatchery quality ameraucanas?
I thought the same, too low? When they’re not roosting their tails are more upwards. They came from a woman who bought a fertilized dozen— 4/12 hatched from mint green eggs, she wanted blue layers, assuming they would lay green like the eggs they came from she sold them.

Back
Top Bottom