purple eggs???

Pics
Purple eggs!!!
ep.gif
Beautiful....awesome. I want some!

I just got to thinking...My LBrahmas lay the brown eggs of course. One day I had pulverized into tiny pieces a red cabbage and a little green cabbage and carrots to take out to the chickens. I have this one Brahma - Amelie who always laid eggs with little white polka dots on one end of the egg. I was glad because I like to try and recognize which chicken laid what egg. A couple of days later when I gathered eggs, the polka dots were no longer white on Amelie's eggs....they were PURPLE! That was months ago and the polka dots on her eggs are still purple. Does anybody know how such a thing could happen- I blamed the red (purple) cabbage, but I really don't know.

This is an older thread but while looking up Langshans I ran across it. I have been researching how the dark egg color came to be in the Barnevelder which is now washed out and ran across the Croad Langshan which is one of the breeds used to create the them. After reading this thread about the purple color egg I wanted to add that I have a Barnevelder that lays a purple egg. Now I know where it came from. Usually cull that egg for hatching in my efforts to inprove the Barnie egg color but maybe it will be useful. Now, any one import Croad Langshans yet?

Quote:
Both Barnevelders and Marans tend to do this - Wynette and Pinkchick also have a Marans hen who lays a gorgeous purple egg. It is because of an extra whitish coating of blumen over the egg. Sadly, it does not pass on as a trait though.

Wynette, you need to come over here and show your purple egg to us all.
smile.png

Maybe you could start a club for purple eggs and all save up together? Then maybe you could afford to import some purple eggs?

Quote:
Oh yeah I remember when I first saw that post. . . Amazed me so much!
smile.png
They're like Emu eggs. . . So beautiful, but sadly not from a chicken.

As for anyone who asked earlier - No, there is simple no color recipe to create purple eggs. The closest is to take a heavily blumen-soaked pink egg and a Marans egg and work from there. This is merely creates a lilac egg from a heavy blumen coating on a medium brown egg.

i found someone who raises super quality croad langshans... problem
they are in the UK

and it costs too much for her send them here.....

there are none of the "Croad" bloodlines in America....

Back
Top Bottom