Pyr or Texas Heeler

Different areas have different problems with coyotes so it is hard to make a blanket statement about them. They can be a problem at times especially when their numbers are high or they've learned bad habits. I would make sure my fences were tight and backed up with a good hot wire system to minimize the chances of the coyotes developing any bad habits.
It's hard to give specifics since we've only lived here a month, but they have been on the property a few times, likely scouting. There is at least 1 pack, possibly multiple, that live in close proximity to our property line. We will be doing improvements to the animal areas as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

For perspective, we have 10 acres of land, with just about 5 of it that the dog will be patrolling around. My chickens will be in a predator proof run, however my goats and mini pigs are not. So the dog's main charges will be those. I just don't want the dog trying to charge the fenced area where the chickens will be. I'm more inclined to get the heeler if they are able to be trained not to chase the chickens at the fence. Our main predator is coyotes, so I want a dog that will chase them out of the yard.
I would get a couple miniature donkeys personally. They will chase down anything that comes into their territory. Not trying to tempt you with expanding your menagerie (yes i am). 😏

Back
Top Bottom