Quail chick eye is goopy and scratching

SMMS3617

Chirping
Apr 28, 2021
Hi, I have a 8 day old Italian coturnix chick (only survivor of the clutch) and it has been scratching at its face for a few days now. I thought maybe it was due to remaining membrane material that hadn't fallen off or something of those sorts. There isn't anything that is sharp in the brooder, so I don't think it's an injury.

But this morning, I noticed one of its eyes is goopy and it's squinting. It can open its eye fully and I see the black of it but then it goes back to squinting. The other eye looks similar but in better condition and more open. It keeps scratching at its face with its feet.

Suggestions? I really want this one to make it, we've gotten attached...

Right eye is better, left eye is goopy.
Eating, drinking, pooping a lot. Running around and reactive. But shaking head and scratching at face

Attachments

• 17009230727404283151527710011964.jpg
    17009230727404283151527710011964.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 7
  • 17009231181993554087829820967591.jpg
    17009231181993554087829820967591.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 7
Thank you. I have another batch started in my incubator and second time around, I know more of what not to do so I'm hoping I can give him some peers and or, have more to come if he doesn't make it. But we really hope he can keep on keeping on.

I just tried a q-tip soaked in warm water and gently rubbed the closed eye a little and it opened up but the other eye is goopy.

Should I try triple antibiotic? I read that people recommend buying terramycin too.

I have a group of 8 hens outside so I have some "hospital" supplies like saline wash that i can try on the eye as well.

Start with the saline rinse. It sounds like an irritant in the eye, but we won't be able to tell until it's completely clean and see how it's doing.
Now that you say that, I'm wondering if it's from the feed? I've been crushing up it's food with a mortar and pestle bc the crumble was too big. I'll do a saline rinse today, thank you 😊

Now that you say that, I'm wondering if it's from the feed? I've been crushing up it's food with a mortar and pestle bc the crumble was too big. I'll do a saline rinse today, thank you 😊
I just cleaned the eyes with saline solution. And gently wiped the eyes with the wet q-tip, I don't know if it was pus or food dust, but I came away with something on the cotton. I had noticed a build up of the orangey-yellow color of feed on its face a few days ago but i figured all chicks are a little messy when eating. It looks like there's build up by the nostrils as well, I tried swiping that too but it's a but built up and I didn't want to harass the chick for too long. 🤞

I just cleaned the eyes with saline solution. And gently wiped the eyes with the wet q-tip, I don't know if it was pus or food dust, but I came away with something on the cotton. I had noticed a build up of the orangey-yellow color of feed on its face a few days ago but i figured all chicks are a little messy when eating. It looks like there's build up by the nostrils as well, I tried swiping that too but it's a but built up and I didn't want to harass the chick for too long. 🤞
You can get to that later when you check on its eyes. If there was something in there, that will probably take care of it.

Let us know how it looks in a couple hours.

You can get to that later when you check on its eyes. If there was something in there, that will probably take care of it.

Let us know how it looks in a couple hours.
So far, little one is doing better. I will be diligently checking on him

Attachments

• 20231125_105336.jpg
    20231125_105336.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231125_104813.jpg
    20231125_104813.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom