Quail dead at 2 weeks - bath dust???

If it was food grade DE, there shouldn't have been a problem. The fine dust particles are not good for them to breath in...either play sand or DE.
From the description, sounds like their product has lime in it? or a Plaster of Paris compound mixed in? That would be the only reason I can think of why she said it would turn to stone.
Either way, I would just remove the dust baths until you can do a through research of their product.
Sorry for your loss.

Sorry about your loss. It could have died for a variety of reasons, but it's good that you are thinking about the dust bath issue.

You can buy a 50-lb bag of play sand at big box stores near the cement mix. It's cheap and they love it. It's heavy enough so it doesn't fill the air, but it's still fine enough to please them.

Thats horrible, why would they sell something like that? Thats what birds do is eat everything! Poor little guy.
I am spoiled because i live in the desert , so i just go out and collect sand literally by the trailer fulls on our four wheeler. Make a big pile in the corner of my yard and sift the big rocks out with small hardware cloth, and have all the sand my quails and chickens could ever want! The big pile lasts me 3 or 4 months. I use it for the floors of my quails too.

This is a bit of an old thread, but I would never use play sand for anything, not my kids nor animals. Has anyone read the back of the bag? It says that extended use may cause cancer! Also, I wouldn't use DE, my respiratory system is sensitive enough as it is.

I saw someone say to use plain old dirt, but I live in an area with clay, and not a lot of actual dirt (although I'm about to be moving and I think the soil on my new property is a lot better!) Would getting an organic potting mix or top soil work?

Last edited:
This is a bit of an old thread, but I would never use play sand for anything, not my kids nor animals. Has anyone read the back of the bag? It says that extended use may cause cancer! Also, I wouldn't use DE, my respiratory system is sensitive enough as it is.

I saw someone say to use plain old dirt, but I live in an area with clay, and not a lot of actual dirt (although I'm about to be moving and I think the soil on my new property is a lot better!) Would getting an organic potting mix or top soil work?
Just read the bag carefully and is probably fine. My soil is heavy clay, sand builds up in certain areas, i put the dirt in sometimes but it does just compact into a brick. I would recommend using just sand or a wire floor with a large sand area contained. I've also used alfalfa for their bedding but they need a sand area whatever you decide to use.

I have read several post on this forum recommending sand, dirt, dust baths. So I started giving my quail bagged sand box sand and they loved it. However after several weeks I had quail dying, I suspected it might be the sand. I stopped giving them the sand and the deaths stopped and the quail did just fine without. They do not need it and I recommend not giving them any type of dust bath I think they ingest it and it blocks the crop. Give them good housing, good feed and water and they are happy!

I have read several post on this forum recommending sand, dirt, dust baths. So I started giving my quail bagged sand box sand and they loved it. However after several weeks I had quail dying, I suspected it might be the sand. I stopped giving them the sand and the deaths stopped and the quail did just fine without. They do not need it and I recommend not giving them any type of dust bath I think they ingest it and it blocks the crop. Give them good housing, good feed and water and they are happy!

Do NOT withhold dust baths from your quail! It's their natural mechanism for external parasite control. It helps remove excess oil from their feathers and allows them to exfoliate dead skin. This is how these birds take care of themselves; it's cruel not to let them perform a basic behavior.

I have been putting pine shavings in their pan in the closed in side of their hutch for warmth, but they are throwing it everywhere trying to dust bathe in it, so I’m trying to find something safe. My plan has been to give them a dust bath all along, but it is difficult to find something safe, affordable, and readily available.

I have been putting pine shavings in their pan in the closed in side of their hutch for warmth, but they are throwing it everywhere trying to dust bathe in it, so I’m trying to find something safe. My plan has been to give them a dust bath all along, but it is difficult to find something safe, affordable, and readily available.

If you can verify that herbicides/pesticides haven't been used in the area, nothing beats dirt straight from the ground. My quail have been bathing in sandy dirt from my backyard for months with no issues. If you're leery of parasites, you can bake it in the oven to "sterilize" it.

If you can verify that herbicides/pesticides haven't been used in the area, nothing beats dirt straight from the ground. My quail have been bathing in sandy dirt from my backyard for months with no issues. If you're leery of parasites, you can bake it in the oven to "sterilize" it.

Ditto - we are lucky to live on a sandy granite mountain so it makes perfect bathing material and grit. I worry WAY less than I would with anything purchased.

Back
Top Bottom