Quail with bumblefoot self destructing.. HELP!! ⚠️Graphic Pictures⚠️ Tw: blood

I saw your other thread.
this is a lot off poop for 3 quail to be walking around in.
I think the problem started with caked on poop burning the foot raw and now she's pecking at it because it hurts.
That's mostly sand.

I'm going to give her an Epsom salt bath and clean her feets. I'll then apply betadine + sugar to it and wrap it. Please tell me if this is wrong.

Her feets are looking much better now :)
PXL_20230909_044745648.jpg

I hope this is the end of it, but I don't think it is.

I did it, but didn't wrap it and used a mix of sugar + betadine+ antibacterial ointment (chlorsig).
I hope this is the end of it, but I don't think it is.
No, I don't think this is the end of it.

When you can, get some clear photos of what the foot looks like now.

Clean the foot really well. Dry it. Apply your sugardine, just a small amount is needed, then wrap the foot.
The foot needs wrapping to keep the sand from clogging up the wound and of course from poop getting on there too.
It's best to soak, dry, reapply your sugardine and wrap daily for several days. After it starts healing, then you can go every 2 to 3 days, depending on the progress that's made.

I know wrapping can be tedious, they have such tiny feet and are squirmy little birds. But I think it's an important step towards getting her healed up.

If I have to work on my Quail, I take a thin cloth or something like a thin dishtowel and swaddle them so they can't flap around. This helps me control them better.

Lay out your supplies beforehand, it's easier if you can work at a table sitting down (for me anyway). Have your vet wrap strips cut and ready to go. For tiny feet, thin (narrow) strips work better, so if you need to cut your strips narrower, have those ready to go.
If you have someone that can help hold her, even better.

You've got good photos of what it was like on your other thread, get us some more so we can see what it looks like now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/growth-on-quails-foot.1596695/

No, I don't think this is the end of it.
When you can, get some clear photos of what the foot looks like now.
Ok.
Clean the foot really well. Dry it. Apply your sugardine, just a small amount is needed, then wrap the foot.
The foot needs wrapping to keep the sand from clogging up the wound and of course from poop getting on there too.
It's best to soak, dry, reapply your sugardine and wrap daily for several days. After it starts healing, then you can go every 2 to 3 days, depending on the progress that's made.
Ok, I've been doing that but not wrapping.
I know wrapping can be tedious, they have such tiny feet and are squirmy little birds. But I think it's an important step towards getting her healed up.
I'll do it.
If I have to work on my Quail, I take a thin cloth or something like a thin dishtowel and swaddle them so they can't flap around. This helps me control them better.
Ok, that could work. I put a towel over Spot's back and that keeps her calmer for a while, but I guess swaddling would be better. One of my birds, George, will let you do whatever to her without struggle, but I doubt that would work with spot. I'll try the swaddling tomorrow, it's already late so I can't give her a bath today.
Lay out your supplies beforehand, it's easier if you can work at a table sitting down (for me anyway). Have your vet wrap strips cut and ready to go. For tiny feet, thin (narrow) strips work better, so if you need to cut your strips narrower, have those ready to go.
If you have someone that can help hold her, even better.
I don't usually, but I'll have to get my mum to help me again. I don't have vet wrap, but I have normal bandages cut thinly. Would this work? I would've definitely vet wrapped already if I had it.
You've got good photos of what it was like on your other thread, get us some more so we can see what it looks like now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/growth-on-quails-foot.1596695/
I got good photos because I had my mum help me. I'll have to get her to do it again, I'll try tonight.

Back
Top Bottom