Quail with bumblefoot self destructing.. HELP!! ⚠️Graphic Pictures⚠️ Tw: blood

Is it ok if I wrap it with thinly cut human bandages? It's all I have.
I ended up doing this after giving an Epsom salt bath and applying betadine. I did as best I could, surprisingly enough she is walking around normally and the bandages are still perfect this morning.
I did end up swaddling her as @Wyorp Rock suggested.
PXL_20230911_092308235.jpg

How long should I leave them on for?

I ended up doing this after giving an Epsom salt bath and applying betadine. I did as best I could, surprisingly enough she is walking around normally and the bandages are still perfect this morning.
I did end up swaddling her as @Wyorp Rock suggested.View attachment 3633480
How long should I leave them on for?
Soak/clean, apply your sugardine and wrap daily.
Get some photos of her foot after you've done this for a few days.

The gauze wrappings may be o.k., but I'd watch her to make sure she or the other one are not pulling at the threads and eating them. Birds sometimes do things like that.

When you can, get some sports wrap/coban/bandage wrap to use. It's easier to work with and sticks to itself, doesn't unravel and is easy to cut into narrow strips.
You are in the UK or EU? I'm not sure what you would call the wrap there.

I buy it in bulk off amazon. It's not that I have a lot of birds with injuries, I just keep some on hand for general first aid at home. It works well to hold bandages on wounds (for humans and animals), so I keep a few rolls of it on hand.

1694492440359.png

Soak/clean, apply your sugardine and wrap daily.
Get some photos of her foot after you've done this for a few days.

The gauze wrappings may be o.k., but I'd watch her to make sure she or the other one are not pulling at the threads and eating them. Birds sometimes do things like that.

When you can, get some sports wrap/coban/bandage wrap to use. It's easier to work with and sticks to itself, doesn't unravel and is easy to cut into narrow strips.
You are in the UK or EU? I'm not sure what you would call the wrap there.

I buy it in bulk off amazon. It's not that I have a lot of birds with injuries, I just keep some on hand for general first aid at home. It works well to hold bandages on wounds (for humans and animals), so I keep a few rolls of it on hand.

View attachment 3633755
Australia.
I'll try finding it at a pharmacy.

So, I went out and bought some from the 24-hour pharmacy. I cut it and
PXL_20230912_093031057.jpg
PXL_20230912_093029522.jpg
PXL_20230912_093018969.jpg
PXL_20230912_093005964.jpg
put it on her feet, but I had to swaddle her very well. I did it as best as I could with her wriggling so much.

That looks good.

LOL They do wriggling around a lot even if you swaddled them. Quail are much more fidgety than chickens.

Soak her daily, apply your ointment/sugardine, then re-wrap daily for several days, then get some more photos. Let's see how she's healing up.

Back
Top Bottom