Question about Male and Female Emus

ES Pleased to hear your poor Boy is improving after this shocking experience.....
For all you Emu breeders.......it's not just joining a strange Emu boy with another, 3 eggs I hatched , 7 yrs ago, been together ever since, I only found out after 18 months later ...that I had 2 boys, the weaker ones lost a lot of feathers including some skin, triying to climb up wire fencing, he was ok thankfully, but bet very sore. Luckily I discovered it on time..and got separated swiftly. Now they are best mates... through 6 ft fencing lol...as both have a girl to them selves. He is now so tame , and I'm sure very grateful for the rescue.
They don't want sharing a girl, lol I kept an eye on him and was treated like a lord, fresh veggies every day...and feathers grew back very fast...I'm sure the more dominant would have killed his brother.

Last edited:
I haven't had an emu get hurt but for the other critters I clean wounds with a diluted Bernadine solution and keep flies away with Avon skin so soft bath oil . It really works good on all the beasts even the mus. don't spray it just wipe it on where there's no injury , it will help keep the flies from landing once you get the wounds clean . Good luck. Are the wounds anywhere that a light dressing could be applied just to help keep it clean?

I haven't had an emu get hurt but for the other critters I clean wounds with a diluted Bernadine solution and keep flies away with Avon skin so soft bath oil . It really works good on all the beasts even the mus. don't spray it just wipe it on where there's no injury , it will help keep the flies from landing once you get the wounds clean . Good luck. Are the wounds anywhere that a light dressing could be applied just to help keep it clean?

X2

I have also used sterile eyewash to wash the wounds and clear out the fly eggs and maggots (you will need a strong stomach and a good set of tweezers for maggot removal.. luckily I have both).. then coat the wounds with neosporin.. and if the flies are still messing with it cover the wounds with one of the wound powders.. it helps dry out the wound as well as puts a barrier between the tissue and flies..

no the wounds are very deep and ragged...

ES when my bird scratched his cornea he was in a ton of pain and my vet prescribed him a bottle of meloxicam and a bottle of tramadol, I used all the meloxicam but I still have the tramadol, if you would like it I'd overnight it to you. It helped El take the edge off the pain and start eating.

ES when my bird scratched his cornea he was in a ton of pain and my vet prescribed him a bottle of meloxicam and a bottle of tramadol, I used all the meloxicam but I still have the tramadol, if you would like it I'd overnight it to you. It helped El take the edge off the pain and start eating.
I'm up for anything! Almost all of the muscle on one side is torn out, what is left has turned black and is infested with maggots and fly eggs, the poor bird must be in god awful pain. I will pm you my mailing address and let me know how much I owe you. Thanks.

Ok its on its way, I overnighted it but post said it might be wed morning. Good Luck! and you don't owe me anything, you always give good advice.

curious, do you have a vet close by that will stitch the bird up or do you just not want to try that ?

curious, do you have a vet close by that will stitch the bird up or do you just not want to try that ?

i wouldn't stitch up those wounds with necrotic tissue in there.. that's just asking for major infection to set in

a vet would have to perform a debridement on the wounds first.. then debate on using stitches depending on how much tissue is missing and the amount of infection present

I don't know if ES has a vet who would come out and work on an emu in the first place.. many will suggest euthanasia without even seeing them because they don't want to deal with an emu or don't have the knowledge in how to treat one.

Back
Top Bottom