Question about Male and Female Emus

I just checked to see when he posted that the injury had happened, prob. too much time has passed...you're right.
I don't check in here too often and therefore don't always read through all the posts thoroughly.
Would imagine if a vet would tend to it that it would be a quite extensive and costly procedure.

In any event, I still say the granulex prob. would help, it's great per treating necrotic tissue issues but am not clear on how safe it is to use for really deep and large wounds.
I've used it on smaller wounds that were about 2-3 inches deep and it was a tremendous help in healing those up.
Just trying to help is all.

Granulex is good stuff I used it on my horses thigh on large wound and it did help heal and also prevented the proud flesh that horses get.

can I ask a question , I have my emu together and there is one who they seem to want to pick on however I have there shelter in the middle of there pen it has a front door and back door , so they can't get trapped inside , sorry my question is was they inside or outside when the attack happen . I try to always make sure there is an escape for them and they can't get trapped ,Just wandering hope he gets better , I always used shot of dexamethasone it seems to help them when they have been traumatized emu it helps them perk up they are easy to give shots to they don't seem to flinch the only problem you have to get it from a vet , it in many cases will make them want to eat and drink .hope this helps I have used Silvadene it will keep the flies off the wound and help it heal

Last edited:
errigate the wound with sterile saline and then use Neosporine or if you can get silvadene it work well to help heal and keep the maggots out of the wound , make sure to use antibiotics to keep down infection , they have a wonderful healing power a friend of mine had a emu get trapped and attacked it had huge gaping wounds whit most all the flesh and muscle gone all I did was give it a shot of Dexamethasone that I get from the vet , (it is a steroid that seems to speed up the healing process and causes them to have an appetite and thirst ,it seems to bring them out of the depression they seem to go into when injured ) it doesn't cost much if you have them draw up a syringe for you to give to the emu , and I washed the place you can put a bandage on with tape and med if the feathers are gone enough to stick it to and we kept the injured bird in a dark stall for a few days a light they seem safer in the enclosure . Good luck with your baby .

Sometime between yesterday afternoon and early evening, the injured emu died. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and concerns, but we realized that there was not a whole lot that could be done for the bird other than to try and keep it comfortable and hope for the best. Stitching the wounds was not a possibility because there was huge chunks of flesh ripped out with nothing left to stitch back together.

can I ask a question , I have my emu together and there is one who they seem to want to pick on however I have there shelter in the middle of there pen it has a front door and back door , so they can't get trapped inside , sorry my question is was they inside or outside when the attack happen . I try to always make sure there is an escape for them and they can't get trapped ,Just wandering hope he gets better , I always used shot of dexamethasone it seems to help them when they have been traumatized emu it helps them perk up they are easy to give shots to they don't seem to flinch the only problem you have to get it from a vet , it in many cases will make them want to eat and drink .hope this helps I have used Silvadene it will keep the flies off the wound and help it heal
the emu that was attacked was outside and by the way it looked, was trapped in a corner when most of the damage occurred. It was a very timid bird and was often chased by the more aggressive male but I never saw any more aggression than that. Then a few days ago, I fed them and left for work and when I got home the damage had already occurred. The aggressive emus continued to attack the bird, even after the bird was in another corner while I hurrily prepared an adjacent pen. I literally jumped on the aggressive emu, punching it in the back while I was pulling it off. In addition, I had to fend the female off of the injured bird while I was leading it into the isolation pen. These birds had peacefully coexisted since May, but when breeding season starts, their behavior can change drastically.

Last edited:
Ok its good to realize that they can and will do something like that, good info. I picture all those old emu farms in my mind, with hundreds of birds in enclosures and I guess kind of figured Emus just did not get territorial and super aggressive like that. Will most definetly not be putting my immature birds in with my adult just yet, and now I'm paranoid about ever doing it.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom