Question on feeding ducklings

Fur and Feather Fancier

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hi. I’m new to raising ducks. I have two ducklings, a Pekin 6 weeks old and a Rouen 4 weeks old.

I’ve been feeding them Agland Game Bird/Turkey Starter/Breeder Crumble. This is what they said to buy. I didn’t even realize it was for turkeys until last week. I’ve been adding a small amount of nutritional yeast in their food every day. They seem healthy, walking and eating fine.

My questions all revolve around what to supplement them. Can I give them wheat berries, rye and corn? I’ve made them mashed sweet potato and they like it. Same with cooked rice but will hard rice hurt their stomach? They seem to like dandelion, sage, lemon balm and spearmint, clover and kale. I cut them up into small bits. Is 4 and 6 weeks to early to be giving them all this?

I also have a question about when to keep them outside all night. The Pekin is starting to grow our lots of feathers and is getting big. The Rouen is starting to grow out feathers too but not as dense as the other on. I’ve been putting them out late morning and bringing them in at dusk. I have them in a covered baby pen now and will be building a duck house this weekend.

I have spent many hours/days trying to find answers. Thanks for reading this. 🦆🦆

PS. Any thoughts about feeding them Bindweed?

Attachments

• IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9192.jpeg
    IMG_9192.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
You can get Mazuri waterfowl on Chewy.com, or lots of other duck-specific foods are available. It's best to primarily feed them a proper duck food with treats being given occasionally - the feed is formulated to have the right nutrients to grow. I give my ducks some meal worms, chopped kale, or peas everyday, but it's just a little treat, not part of their meal.

there at the age now where you can feed them all flock. or a grower feed. id suggest going to a local feed mill. much cheaper and high quality feed. i used the game bird starter once. never again i will stick to chic starter with added niacin

Back
Top Bottom