Question Regarding Woods Style Coop Design.

UtterlyFowl

Hatching
Jun 26, 2023
W. MICHIGAN
I am just getting started researching coop designs for an eventual build and have a quick question - would building it with a sloped roof where the front(open) side is lower than the back side pose a problem? So say 5 ft at front rising to 7 ft high at the back. The thought process being that heat rises so the slope would trap more heat during the winter. I planned to add vents at the peak so that in the summer I can let the trapped heat out, and a gutter on the lower front edge to catch the rain.

Would this design work or would that slope defeat the ventilation purpose of an open air coop, even with the roof vents?

The reason I was considering this design is that the only portion of the yard that would allow south facing is also facing into a open field and gets a strong breeze from that direction in the winter.

The design fora Woods KD style coop does have the front portion lower than the back although both start at 4'.

The Woods style incorporates windows in the upper front of the back section, no need to add any vents build it per the design.

The design works as advertised.

Your post reads as if you are designing something other than a Woods Coop as indicated in your title.

not sure of this specific style, but in general, if you have a high wall, a low wall, and a sloped roof, the high side should always be leeward of the prevailing wind.

Can you add a sketch of what you are thinking? It can be a pretty rough sketch. I'm also having trouble seeing what you mean.

A Woods' coop will work well regardless of which direction the wind is blowing. Woods recommended facing the coop south so the sun would reach into the entire coop.

Back
Top Bottom