Question??

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
Can you have a mentally handicapped chicken? I know that is a stupid question but mille fluer does this passing and hitting into walls before she lays. It's like she doesn't know what to do.

A video would be enlightening.

There is such a thing as neurological damage that can cause motor issues and imbalance and perhaps confusion.

In the recent past, has there been a predator incident that caused panic in the flock?

A video would be enlightening.

There is such a thing as neurological damage that can cause motor issues and imbalance and perhaps confusion.

In the recent past, has there been a predator incident that caused panic in the flock?
No there hasn't been any kind of predator. I will try and download the video I took

Can you have a mentally handicapped chicken? I know that is a stupid question but mille fluer does this passing and hitting into walls before she lays. It's like she doesn't know what to do.
From what it seems, yes. With chickens being as complex as they are, there are some neurological diseases that can come from multiple factors. From your poor girl's behavior, the most likely match would probably be Avian Encephalomyelitis. Which have symptoms of lack or coordination, trouble standing from leg weakness, head shaking and more awful stuff. But don't take it from me. It would be best to take your fluffer to the vet before coming to conclusions. Especially if it continues once she get's older. This disease will usually come from picornaviruses.

The most I could think is that the predator maybe carried the virus from other birds, and it got transmitted to your flock. Can't confirm though. Hopefully she'll get better! Best of luck!💕

Should I bring her inside and thanks
You're welcome! It would be a good call to bring her inside and keep an eye on her. You may have to quarantine her for the chance that she may have a contagious neurological problem as a result of a virus.

Is she a new layer by some chance? From my years of experience with new layers and after watching the video, your girl's behavior is completely normal. There is no worry about some contagious avian brain disease.

A new layer is usually very agitated when she feels the pressure of an egg ready to exit the shell gland. She searches for and tries to create a nest to lay the egg. This is common behavior for a new layer until she becomes acquainted with the regular nesting boxes.

To confirm that this is nesting behavior, listen to her vocals. She will either be clucking rapidly, or making a "tisk-tisking" noise as she tries to scratch out a nesting spot.

Back
Top Bottom