Question??

Is she a new layer by some chance? From my years of experience with new layers and after watching the video, your girl's behavior is completely normal. There is no worry about some contagious avian brain disease.

A new layer is usually very agitated when she feels the pressure of an egg ready to exit the shell gland. She searches for and tries to create a nest to lay the egg. This is common behavior for a new layer until she becomes acquainted with the regular nesting boxes.

To confirm that this is nesting behavior, listen to her vocals. She will either be clucking rapidly, or making a "tisk-tisking" noise as she tries to scratch out a nesting spot.
Yes she is this is the only the second time she has layed

Agree with @azygous ... Looks like she's "looking" to lay. Try putting some bedding up there for a nest, she'll scratch around to form a nest to lay her eggs. That's what it looks like to me, she's trying to "nest".
Thanks, I brought her inside and put her in my computer room. She did lay an egg. She didn't scream or squel in here

Screaming and chattering and squealing is precursor to nesting. Once she decides on a nest spot, she's quiet as a mouse. Then after the egg is laid, she will get boisterous again. Some call this phase the "egg song", although it won't get her a record contract.

Your hen is perfectly healthy and normal. Let her rejoin her pals.

Screaming and chattering and squealing is precursor to nesting. Once she decides on a nest spot, she's quiet as a mouse. Then after the egg is laid, she will get boisterous again. Some call this phase the "egg song", although it won't get her a record contract.

Thanks

My Babs laid her second egg today. The first was on Tuesday. Prior to Tuesday we had 4 days of her going around scratching and chattering and inspecting all sorts of odd corners of the coop.
Then on Tuesday we had 3 hours with a lot of fussing about before the first egg.
So I think what yours is doing looks normal - I am much less experienced than @azygous so I am relieved she came to the same conclusion!.
One thought, many (not all) hens like to have a bit of a hollow bowl-shaped nest - she may make that herself if you give her more bedding up where she seems to want to be.
Alternatively you could help her out a bit. I give mine dishwashing bowls that are filled with shavings and they hollow out their little nests in those.

:goodpost:

This is why I come to BYC - to learn from the resident experts.

Back
Top Bottom