Questionable buyers of my chickens/roosters

Or they have a pet reptile who needs to eat.
barnie.gif

This has been my experience with advertising free roosters, young or not.

I was naïve at first but when the folks started asking question of age, size, do they have spurs etc. I became suspicious. I started asking questions and most told me their plans. I got to feed to my snakes a lot.

I worked with a lady years ago whose son had a bobcat. Back then there was no such thing as Craigslist etc but he monitored the local papers and bulletin boards at the feed stores for people who where wanting to give away excess roosters or sell for next to nothing and it was one of the ways he fed the bobcat. I had to ask he threw them into the cage alive.

I have not done it for quite some time. I just man up and cull myself. If I hatched them or brought them onto the property as chicks I'd rather they die humanely at my hands.

I have not done it for quite some time.   I just man up and cull myself.   If I hatched them or brought them onto the property as chicks I'd rather they die humanely at my hands.

And there you have it - if you don't like the idea of your chickens being eaten, used to feed another pet or possibly be mistreated, don't sell them or give them away. Keep them or process them yourself.

I have not done it for quite some time.   I just man up and cull myself.   If I hatched them or brought them onto the property as chicks I'd rather they die humanely at my hands.

And there you have it - if you don't like the idea of your chickens being eaten, used to feed another pet or possibly be mistreated, don't sell them or give them away. Keep them or process them yourself.

That about sums it up, the only other real option is to price them beyond 'food' cost so only people that want them as pets will pay up, but chances are very slim you will find buyers for high priced roosters...

Last edited:
Oh My!   Im going to remove my ad now!   Thank you.     I have all these beautiful baby silkie roosters that I just love and they only crow a few times in the morning then they are quiet all day.  Im just really worried for my Hens,  I only have 4.

It is hard when you have raised them yourself and gotten attached to them as pets. Prepare for the crowing to increase with maturity. You are definatly going to have to come up with a plan b though as leaving seven roosters with four hens is going to end up being just as cruel for the hens. As suggested a seperate pen may be your best bet.

We managed through word of mouth to find a home for our one rooster but it wasn't easy. I'd just keep looking and ask you friends to keep their ears open but advertise as pet and one at a time not as a bulk lot and simply ask the people what their plans for it are. (Say you may have more shortly, if it's for a flock instead of dinner they will not be interested in the more coming up) When you hatch eggs this should be the questions you ask before you turn on the incubator ;-)

Last edited:
All kidding aside, if you can find someone who will caponize them for you before they reach maturity, the boys won't crow and act all roostery. They'll be quiet and docile like big ol' cuddly hens.

Thank you, I have been working on a separate pen and have contacted the local 4H. I hope to move these boys to the isolation unit (pen) tomorrow.
My hens are hatching these chicks! They are dedicated, no incubators here! I hate to hurt their feelings but I guess I will start pulling eggs.

Thank you, I have been working on a separate pen and have contacted the local 4H. I hope to move these boys to the isolation unit (pen) tomorrow.
My hens are hatching these chicks! They are dedicated, no incubators here! I hate to hurt their feelings but I guess I will start pulling eggs.
It's either that or find a market for your roosters. Unless, of course, you want and can afford to keep building pens.

They're not dedicated. They're broody. Break them from being broody and take the eggs, for goodness sake.

Back
Top Bottom