Questions about giving chickens the run of your backyard

SusanD

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
Willamette Valley, Oregon
This is a followup to my chickens in the backyard post. Our chickens had such a good time yesterday, that my Dad let them out again yesterday and today. I'm happy, because it provides more enrichment for them that I can provide in their run.

I did have some questions about chicken proofing our backyard though. One is that they were digging up the moss (which is so tough, that I can't imagine it going down). Is that a potential crop hazard, or can I trust them to leave it alone? Also, my Dad did say that we have a plant that is on the poisonous to chickens list, but that he thought it was well hidden in the back where they wound find it. What would be a good way (may some wire around it) to keep them from getting to the plant in question?

Also, they did get caught in a downpour and got pretty wet. Will they learn to go back to their run for shelter, or would it be a good idea to put a shelter of some kine up until our rainy season ends?

My chickens always pretty much stayed away from plants that they shouldn't eat. Generally, poisonous plants taste nasty so a small nibble is enough to tell them that they don't want to eat it but not enough to die from it. As for the moss, if the yard is a decent size, I wouldn't really worry about it. Finally as to the rain, I have had chickens that LOVED the rain. So long as they aren't ill (which you'd likely have them in isolation anyway) then there is no reason to not allow them out just because it is raining. You could put out some bushes and such that would offer some cover to give them a place out of the heaviest part of the rain. Of course the cover in the form of bushes or other forms is a good idea anyway so that they can avoid hawks and other predators.

They may or may not find and eat the poisonous plant....
....one way to be sure would be to fence around it so they can't get at it.

Thanks. The plant in question is bleeding heart if that helps. I would be curious to know if this is one that chickens normally avoid? Or if it is one that they can/will eat to where it's toxic? If so, I will have my Dad either cut the plant down or put a fencing around it.

It may be better to get rid of the plant for your own peace of mind.

CT

Thanks. The plant in question is bleeding heart if that helps. I would be curious to know if this is one that chickens normally avoid? Or if it is one that they can/will eat to where it's toxic? If so, I will have my Dad either cut the plant down or put a fencing around it.
Bleeding heart is a very cool plant.
I'd fence it.

I will check into fencing it. I just noticed that the red maple tree (we have one in our backyard) is also on the no list. Does anyone have any experience with chickens and maple leaves? I don't want to try and coax my parents into getting rid of the tree if it doesn't have to go, but don't want the chickens getting sick from it either.

I will check into fencing it. I just noticed that the red maple tree (we have one in our backyard) is also on the no list. Does anyone have any experience with chickens and maple leaves? I don't want to try and coax my parents into getting rid of the tree if it doesn't have to go, but don't want the chickens getting sick from it either.
What is this 'list'...can you link it?
Any specifics on what parts and how red maple is toxic to chickens?
You need to look closely at possibilities and probabilities before even contemplating cutting down a beautiful tree because some list said it would kill chickens.

Quote: Not to mention, there are lots of lists out there but that doesn't mean that if a chicken tastes them that they will die. As I stated above, most things that are poisonous are bitter tasting to keep animals from just munching away. I've seen many lists that have some very silly things on them. Like apple seeds. Yes, in high concentrations the seeds can be poisonous but you aren't going to load up a food bowl with nothing but apple seeds. Does that mean you shouldn't feed apples to your chickens? No. Of course not. Just a couple of seeds in an apple won't be enough to make your chickens sick. Just like I've never seen any chickens ever to get sick after eating leftover stew that had both onions and potatoes it in. Both items often put on those lists. Yet in more than ten years, I've never seen either affect a single chicken. Not to mention I've seen my chickens eat on wild onions from time to time. The main thing with that food is that if they eat too much your eggs will get an oniony flavor. So not toxic, just inconvenient if you are selling your eggs.

Here's the one

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/627282/comprehensive-list-of-poisonous-plants-and-trees

What I'm not sure is how many of these plants can coexist in the same space with chickens without causing problems. Aart, no I don't want to cut down the tree. It's beautiful, and I think may parents may have paid good money for it when they had our lawn landscaped. I would start with keeping the chickens away from it during the leaf season or trimming the lower branches. I will research the plants in question.

Back
Top Bottom