Questions about mallards

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
Hey yall,
My little girl "Miss Quacks" has been going around our trees like looking for a spot to nest. She makes these soft,almost whiney sounds while she's looking. I didn't think she would be laying until spring since she's about 4 months old. Weather here has been hot, 80's for highs. We're about to get some cold weather finally.
Any suggestions on how to make a nest for her? I'm clueless,lol.They all free range with my chickens.
I want to get some more females,do they need to be quarntined (sp?) like chickens?? I'm sure I'll have to pen them up,so they will know this is home.
If I can't get any mallards,would rouens be okay or some other breed?
Thanks for your help, Miriam

i raise rouens and they are easy to take care off they are to young to lay now.they should lay this spring they are 5 month old.yours should lay in the spring

She may be getting excited about eggs!
Just put some hay out for her near the tree, if she makes a nest she will also add her downy feathers to make it cosy.
She will hide the eggs really well under the hay.
My duck surprised me and had her first clutch very early in spring when it was still frosty.
I think just let her do what she wants and watch for her first egg.
How exciting for you.
Did you clip one wing, they fly really well!!

Thanks everyone,
I'm going to have to get Dh to build a quarantine pen, he works all the time...might have to wait till spring.
sad.png
I've only brought babies here,never adults.
Bantymum, I hope Miss Quacks will lay in the coop because of all the night time predators here. Since I live on a bayou, I'd hate to clip their wings... for their own safety. Besides they really are cool to watch flying around the place.
love.gif

Wow, sorry i forgot you lived near the bayou.
No I wouldnt clip wings either, though Id hate to lose them.
But if they come back, that is wonderful.
My pet galah (parrot) used to fly around outside and return to my shoulder, lovely to see.
Ive never seen a bayou, though ive heard it in a song, Blue bayou, Linda Ronstadt.
Your Bayou sounds really nice. Have you ever posted a pic of it here? id love to see it.
Hmmm Miss quacks may like to have a natural looking habitat for her nest so perhaps place some branches leaning against a wall in there. Im not sure if anyone here has ducks who nest in the coop?in hay?
Its just that mine dig a nice deep hole and bury them in the dirt.
Keep us posted.

Well... I think I would make a cozy spot IN the coop!!!! Then just like with chickens...add a couple fake eggs to it. A old dog house with an addition of a door is good if you have no coop but you want to lock her up at night. 4months does seem young...but maybe she's getting nesty feeling and just exploring.

Additionally- Don't let her out of the coop until after light. Ducks tend to lay their eggs early in the morning (unlike chickens who can lay at all times of the day).

She will lay a "clutch" of eggs before she sets- just like chickens. If your ducks share a coop with the chickens...You'll want to be sure you pickup the chicken eggs as they will want to lay there too! I made sure there was ample water and feed within a couple feet of the nest- although I did find her out getting a swim and stretching about 2x a day for <30min.

I had success moving my hen from her nest spot in the raspberry patch (ouch for me) to the coop (we were letting them out pre-light/dawn at the time).

GOOD LUCK

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom