Questions about Muscovy ducks !

The 1/4" hardware cloth is the best. Not only for keeping in baby duckies, but also against small predators.
My baby chickens are in a brooder pen with 1/4" ... however, I am guilty of not really fencing in the new newest muscovy mama & babies very well. They are in dog x-pen, placed in a a full 10x10 horse stall. The babies can fit through the x-pen, but don't venture far from mama. This is only a temp set-up anyways while we establish their new home & are introduced to our current trio.
They will be allowed to free range in a couple weeks.

Question about incubating eggs:
We got a new duck who was sitting on 7 eggs. No idea how old the eggs were. Once she was relocated to our farm she took off & abandoned the eggs (we tried to relocated the whole nest...she also turned up a couple days later in the pond.) I have been remedially incubating the eggs since she disappeared, but I don't like the set up...
Do you think even at this point, 4days later, I could pop the eggs into a nest of another broody duck? (see image below of the potential foster nest/burrow)
I have no idea what state the eggs are in right now & if they are still viable...

Last edited:
The 1/4" hardware cloth is the best. Not only for keeping in baby duckies, but also against small predators.
My baby chickens are in a brooder pen with 1/4" ... however, I am guilty of not really fencing in the new newest muscovy mama & babies very well. They are in dog x-pen, placed in a a full 10x10 horse stall. The babies can fit through the x-pen, but don't venture far from mama. This is only a temp set-up anyways while we establish their new home & are introduced to our current trio.
They will be allowed to free range in a couple weeks.

these are very cute.. I have 5 muscovy not sure about the age but I think they are about 8 weeks old, they have already started getting their flight feather.

Hi new to muscovy, and I want to hatch some :D but I don't know we're to begin, If I leave her to gather up her eggs will she go broody when there is around 20 eggs or so?

Hi new to muscovy, and I want to hatch some
big_smile.png
but I don't know we're to begin, If I leave her to gather up her eggs will she go broody when there is around 20 eggs or so?

The amount will be up to her, i've had some go broody on a few, others go on a lot. If you want her to set, definitely leave the eggs, now that all said i can take eggs around here and that still doesn't stop some, Muscovy in general are pretty broody.

Try to encourage a safe area to brood and raise her young, that will avoid a lot of headaches. GL!

The amount will be up to her, i've had some go broody on a few, others go on a lot. If you want her to set, definitely leave the eggs, now that all said i can take eggs around here and that still doesn't stop some, Muscovy in general are pretty broody.

Try to encourage a safe area to brood and raise her young, that will avoid a lot of headaches. GL!

X2

Ok thanks :)

We have a group of muscovys 4 ducks (one is in another paddock raising ducklings) and 2 drakes samuel L Jackson and Donald . Samuel is Alfa drake, Donald has never put up a fight just ran away. Samuel mates the girls almost daily, we have caught Donald mating dutchess the one with ducklings whilst she has ducklings. Samuel came over like he ment buisness and just stood by and watched while his girl was mated! samuel usually chases him away just for coming near the girls. When we had the whole flock together with the babies we noticed the girls Pecking at the ducklings (1 week old) so we moved the whole flock but left one girl behind Angel. The next day we noticed Angel pecking at dutchess very roughly. So we moved her aswell, in the new paddock with the rest of the flock I noticed Angel pecking at Donald the drake! Is this normal? She certainly isn't an Angel anymore! Can anyone take on this question, sorry for writing so much. Thank you!

Do drakes normally care and raise the ducklings? Our hen stayed with them for the first week because we made her(they were kept up.) But when we let them all out she kicked rocks... she only flys by to check up but never lands. We think she is already sitting again and hangs out at a neighbors pond...

Do drakes normally care and raise the ducklings? Our hen stayed with them for the first week because we made her(they were kept up.) But when we let them all out she kicked rocks... she only flys by to check up but never lands. We think she is already sitting again and hangs out at a neighbors pond...
I've never seen it or heard of it and I've had Muscovy's 10 yrs. you have a unique drake for sure.
welcome-byc.gif
and lovely ducks.

Back
Top Bottom