Questions about phesants

missusduray

Songster
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Northern Minnesota
Hi, My husband has phesants comming any day now and I was wondering if they need the heat the same temp as chicks. They will be in the coop in a separated section in a brooder. I was just wondering how hot we will have to keep it in there.
Is there anything else special that I would need to know about phesants?
Thanks, Kristyne

I have not personally had them, but from what I have read on here, they need the same heat...clean water, and game starter feed. It is higher in protien. And yes, you will want them in a flight pen, covered! Or bye bye babies! Have fun with them.

They will be in a old cattle water tank. It is large and deep. We have a mesh lid for it so that they cant fly out. thanks for the tip since I was wondering if they would need the lid. anyone know how much room the chicks need until they are full grown?
Kristyne

Mine are almost 3 weeks old. They are going to need about 6 square feet per bird when they get older. Right now i have mine in an 8x8 shed. The more room the better.
When they were a week and half old they could fly 4 feet high. Now they fly about 6 feet high. I still have a heat lamp in with mine. Im in Mn 40 miles east on Fargo Nd and it gets cool at night. They can move fast and get through small spaces. Make sure they are fully enclosed. How many are you getting. I have 17.

Hi, Boy are you in for an adventure. The stock tank will only work for about the first week for 25 chicks. Pheasant chicks are highly cannibalistic. Use only a red light and hang a thermometer in the tank. Too cold and they'll smother ,too ht and they'll get agressive more so. It is a good idea to have at least a little alfalfa on hand to sprinkle in their pen for them to pick at. You also will want to get a good pheasant rearing book. Most people have to de-beak at about 3 days old especially with alot of ringneck chicks. The ornamentals are a little easier to raise but all need a high protien game bird starter. By 2 weeks when everyone is up,healthy,and active 25 chicks will need a brooder about 6ftx6ft, at 4 weeks a 10x10 and so on. I start mine in a 21ftx 10 enclosure and just open the brooder gaurd as needed. Be extra careful when cathing and handling them. Never grab just a leg it will dislocate. The best way to handle them is in the evening w/ a soft cloth or net. The ornamentals will drop their feathers often times when captured. This is just some things that come to mind , but i highly reccomend a good pheasant and game bird rearing book. Good Luck
smile.png

Quote:
I used to raise them for about 5 years, I stopped because of the low hatch rate and because they are, well, flighty.

They do need the heat lamps just like chics and they will rarely come to you at feeding time or when watering, they are far less social with humans.

Thanks for all the tips. It was not my idea to get the phesants. It was my husbands. We currently have 30 and we know that we will have to get blinders for them so they cant peck at eachother. I am just at a loss for words. I didnt realize that they would be this much work and I dont think that my hubby did either. I know that we wont be able to keep all 30 of them. How old are they when they are able to live on thier own? Is it advisable for them to be relased?
How well do they do in captivity? Do they breed well? How many hens and roos do you need to do that? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the advice.

Bantymama,
We are really close. I live north of Grand forks about an hour. I am also a little east. You one of the closest people that I have found on here.

Kristyne

How well do they do in captivity? Do they breed well? How many hens and roos do you need to do that? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the advice."

They do well once they hatch, give them pleanty of space.

You will only be able to keep one Rooster, two will fight and cause injury to each other.

Back
Top Bottom