rabbit due tomorrow

sherrihargrove

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
If she goes this time I will keeper but this girl is working my nerves. She pooped in her nest box so I changed it out with clean stuff, now she is moving al the hay to the corner of her cage. What to do?

Last edited:
Are you sure she is pregnant? The only sure way to tell is palpating between 12-14 days. If so, she may be going about a weird way of making a nest, or she may kindle a couple days later than her due date.

Is this her first litter? Although all of my first time does have built nests properly, I've heard of many instances where first timers don't have great nesting instincts and act like your doe is acting. I would move the nest box to the side she is moving the hay.

However, like DutchBunny03 mentioned, she may not be pregnant (unless you palpated and felt something).

There is nothing natural about giving birth in a wooden or metal box, and some does take a while to figure out that's what they are supposed to do . If the doe is grabbing mouthfuls of hay and pulling it out of the box and moving it to another corner, I'd move the box to that corner. If she starts working on yet another corner, I might stuff the entire cage with hay, in hopes of having enough material there to keep the kits warm enough to survive until I can find them and move them to the box. With most of my does, once a litter is in the box, they get the idea and subsequent litters are delivered in the box as expected.

If she goes this time I will keeper but this girl is working my nerves. She pooped in her nest box so I changed it out with clean stuff, now she is moving al the hay to the corner of her cage. What to do?
I had a stubborn first-timer who insisted on making a nest on the wire, repeatedly, even though I put a big, hay-filled nest box in her cage. I moved her "nest" several times into the nest box; tried more than one kind of nest box; and moved the box to where she was making the nests, to no avail. She still ended up kindling on the wire. :barnie My does kindle indoors, so I was able to just relocate the kits, fur, and nest into the nest box. After that, she seemed fine with it and fed her kits there without any issues.

You can try the sensible recommendations that have already been made, but I'd be prepared in case she does kindle on the wire.

Good luck with your kindling. I know the feeling--on day 30 myself. New to it all, so my first time, the mama buns first time....please let us know how it goes!

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!! Miss Pebbles has 6 beautiful babies this morning. Babies look good and have an average weight of 56.1 grams. Couldn't be happier. This doe has had 3 false pregnancies and I had just about given up on her. Surprise!!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!! Miss Pebbles has 6 beautiful babies this morning. Babies look good and have an average weight of 56.1 grams. Couldn't be happier. This doe has had 3 false pregnancies and I had just about given up on her. Surprise!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!! Did she use her next box, after all?
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom