Rabbits

roosters97

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
VA
**Sigh** Well i was SOO excited to get a male rabbit for my female...they (she) had babies and guess what! SHE ATE THEM!!! what to do what to do i have one live one what do I do with it? Also there were seven...Is there more? she dug a deep hole and i cant really see it.

I had one rabbit eat her babies. It some thing they do if they can't raise them or if it is their first time. I would take the only baby to her to nurse but raise it in the house. I would also rebreed her as soon as possible.

My rabbit was a bad rabbit. She always bit be so once she did that I ate her. Bad rabbit bad.

Did you touch the babies before she ate them? If you touch the babies when they are hairless you always need to rub the mother's nose with your hand and then they won't eat them, but if you don't do that they usually will.

Paddock, that's an old wives tale. There is no truth in it. Trust me, all of the baby buns I have known have been handled within hours of birth. Sometimes buns eat their babies. First time moms do it more often than any other. Give her 2 more breedings, if neither of those are successful, then she's just not mommy material.
Sorry you lost your babies.
hugs.gif
You can rebreed the female as soon as you feel like it, but I would give her a week or so at least.
The live one probably won't live. IF you really want to save it, then you can use an eyedropper and feed it warm whole cow's milk-I think.Goat's milk might be better, and if you can express milk from the mom that is ideal. Is the mom totally rejecting the baby? If the babe has some suckling instinct, you can just hold the momma upside down and put the baby on a teat every hour or so-you might be able to get away with 2-4 hours.

Baby rabbits only nurse twice a day .. morning and evening .. I've known some people to have success in keeping baby in the house and returning to the nest box before daylight and right before dark to see if mamma will nurse .. but it sounds like her nest is actually a hole that she dug? That might be more difficult.

I've always been fortunate enough to have other rabbits nursing babies and could just transplant the little orphan..

Breed her back .. she might do better next time!

Back
Top Bottom