Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
My albino didn't just have milk dripping out spontaneously.i have never seen it.twice she has had a litter.but every birth is a little different. First one she was very confused second one she did better. 3rd one false pregnancy.

I have never heard of this in rabbits. For some animals (like horses) it is normal for milk to be present and even dripping for days or weeks before giving birth, but since you normally can't even see a doe's nipples, how would you know? I'd think she'd have to be pulling fur for you to even be able to see this, and since does don't usually do that until right before kindling, are you sure she hasn't given birth already?
noo she hasnt given birth and i checked to see if she was pregnant because she was fat. i got her about three weeks ago i can even see the babies moving.

Female rabbits pull fur as a response to certain hormone levels. They typically do it at the time of kindling, or at the end of a false pregnancy, but a doe may pull fur when she hasn't been bred, hasn't been in the same cage as any other rabbit of either gender. A lot of show breeders can tell of does pulling themselves ragged just days before a big show.
he.gif
Some people will say that it's an indication that a doe "wants to be bred," or "wants to be a mother," but rabbits don't think like that - it's an instinctive behavior. If you are intending to breed a doe, having one that you absolutely know is not bred pulling fur is a good indicator that it's a good time to try her - she most likely will breed readily and kindle a good litter.

Ok all you rabbit people I have a question... My lionhead had a litter of 5 kits yesterday day... She did well pulling hair and all that she did not have them in the nesting box though. So we moved them in to the box when she was done and add all hair she pull and some hay with it. All babies are alive and fat today so I'm guessing she is feeding them.... Well today I go and check on her and she is frantically pulling more hair and making another nest where she had her babies yester day !?!?!?!?!.... Is she confused? Or is it possible she is still prego....(I never do the day after breeding!) this is her first set of babies! Ok go...I'm really worried she going to stop feeding these other five..

Rabbits can consive twice . They have two holding areas for kits as humans have one. These could be the case. When male or males mounted her. But if she had to litters like these some don't survive if it's two many for her. A rabbit will continue to pull hair for kits for days after if she feels there two cold or not safe enough from predators.

Rabbits can consive twice . They have two holding areas for kits as humans have one. These could be the case. When male or males mounted her. But if she had to litters like these some don't survive if it's two many for her. A rabbit will continue to pull hair for kits for days after if she feels there two cold or not safe enough from predators.

Thanks for your replay... She seems to be pulling hair/bedding out of the other babies nesting box, I hopping she is just worried about the cold the temp did drop last night I was hoping she was just pulling for more heat for the babies... But she is making a whole new nest... I don't know what she is doing lol crazy rabbit I will continue to check on her today... Also could she have had two litters grown in her from one breeding? Like I said I don't like to do the next day breeding so I just leave female in males cage for about 30 mins(while watching) and they lock up about three time and I pull female out.. She could have gotten pregnant twice for that?
1f629.png

Ok all you rabbit people I have a question... My lionhead had a litter of 5 kits yesterday day... She did well pulling hair and all that she did not have them in the nesting box though. So we moved them in to the box when she was done and add all hair she pull and some hay with it. All babies are alive and fat today so I'm guessing she is feeding them.... Well today I go and check on her and she is frantically pulling more hair and making another nest where she had her babies yester day !?!?!?!?!.... Is she confused? Or is it possible she is still prego....(I never do the day after breeding!) this is her first set of babies! Ok go...I'm really worried she going to stop feeding these other five..
Lots of does will keep pulling fur for days after the kits come, particularly if the weather is cool. Not to worry - just put it in the nest with the babies. Keep an eye on them to make sure she is feeding them. If she is a first time mom, she may not have a whole lot of milk for the first couple of days, so the kits may not look like they have swallowed golf balls, but they should have some tummies on them. If their tummies start to look slack and empty, she may not be feeding them.

5 is a pretty good sized litter for a 4-pound rabbit, so while it isn't impossible that she be carrying more, it's pretty unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom