Racoon killed my pet cat by front door!

Got the racoon!!
wee.gif
Actually was pretty surprised to find it in the trap I set next to the house near where Smokey slept. Don't know how it stuffed itself in that small a trap. Anyway dispatched it with my 22 and sat up a few more hours to see if anything else came around. Nothing did.

Animal control officer here in town told me earlier he is not permitted to trap, help trap or deal with any wildlife...only stray dogs and cats. However he was good enough to drop off an old trap today to "catch a possible feral cat"and it worked!

Racoon did not hiss or act rabid...just hungry. I hate killing anything but will not have any animal ravaging my chickens and cats. The latter was just tooo much. Smokey was the most laid back, non-confrontational cat. He was hard of hearing and was asleep in his house right next to my front door and that racoon killed him there.
hit.gif
He was a very special, gentle cat who loved baby chicks.

I did reset the trap in case there is another racoon about. Tomorrow morning will let the other cats back out. Thanks so much for all your kind words and feedback. It really helped me to cope.

BYC site ROCKS!

Good job!
cool.png
Glad you got that cat killer. Smokey was such a beautiful kitty.

I like to try and keep the peace with the wildlife. But when they go after my animals, it's no holds barred.

We've lost three cats to predators on our farm. The last one totally broke my heart- she was the sweetest cat I'd ever known. I even nick-named her "Bundle of Joy." The two we have now are lazy fatties and almost never leave the house. I guess they'll be around for a while!
roll.png

Quote:
It's not that uncommon for coons to prey on cats, especially if the cat is perceived as old, sick or weak. Coons are opportunists. They will eat the easiest prey available.

Oh, gosh, so sorry!!!
hugs.gif

I know that's so upsetting. Suddenly I think I'd be able to take that coon out without remorse.
somad.gif

If you catch this raccoon, you might want to see if there is anyone nearby that can test it for rabies. You can't kill it and have it tested. Take it in to someone alive. If this isn't normal behavior for a raccoon, it might be rabid, be careful around it.

Quote:
I think a dead animal can be tested as long as the brain is intact. If it was shot in the head, it would be difficult to check for the lesions that rabies leaves in the brain.

Quote:
The poster said that the raccoon she caught was acting very NON-aggresive, it didn't snarl or try to attack through the cage. If it had rabies it would have shown some sign. And as Horse jody said before, killing a cat is, unfortunately, normal raccoon behavior. I honestly doubt it has rabies.

thumbsup.gif
I'm so glad you were able to get the coon on the very first night you set the trap!

Back
Top Bottom