Radiant heat panel: dangerous or not?

When people advise not heating a coop, most people are thinking of a heated space where a human would feel comfortable. Of course, this would be foolish as no chicken with a healthy body and adquate feathering requires the same level of heat as a human to be comfortable during cold weather.

It is entirely permissible to heat a coop to just above freezing. This is what I've been doing for my flock for many years. The coop is no warmer than 35F-40F, and this assures no frostbite, and it also assures no hypothermia.

My coops are insulated, so if the power goes out, the coops do a fair job of retaining heat. The chickens will do fine going from a 35F coop to their run where the temp may be 15F-25F. This is not stressful as the temperature spread is not so great.

On days like our recent ones, it's a challenge to keep the coops above freezing at night and mine both dipped below freezing in spite of the heaters. When the daytime temp is in the single digits or below zero as these recent days, I hang a heat lamp in each of the two runs for the chickens to grab some heat, and some, not all, do take advantage of it, mostly the older ones.

During these severe cold events, as you should also do during heat events, watch for signs of hypothermia and heat stroke. The symptoms are similar - drunken behavior, tipsy, off balance, lameness, stumbling, even extreme lethargy and collapse. With hypothermia, the chicken needs gradual warming and sugar water with electrolytes. With heat stroke, the chicken must be cooled and given the same sugar water /electrolytes. I keep Gatoraid on hand to grab quickly. Not having to mix up a solution can save valuable time and maybe the chicken.
Thanks for the advice, azygous!

This
And when people go and buy things in the moment of oh crap usually they look at price first since it was not planned. Here comes the 16ga 100' extension cord and the largest 250w. Heat light bulb. That is a fire waiting to happen. The 16ga. Small wire coupled with 100' of cord on top of an amperage eating 250w bulb.
Here’s where I reveal my ignorance about extension cords and electrical things in general. Definitely opted against the heat light bulb. Terrified of heat lamps and the risk of fire. In my reply to aart, I described what I bought and included specs/specifics. If any who are more knowledgeable read that and think what I’ve got is also risky, please sing out! I know any electrical anything poses some risk. Just wanted to provide some minimal free choice warmth in case my gals (especially the ones at the end of their late molt) need it. Have read a few horror stories about frostbitten feet and hypothermia. Have read others’ posts advising against any heat at all, recommending lots of bedding, no drafts, good ventilation and a dry environment. Still being new to chickens and loving mine like pets, I want to take the best care of them but find myself unsure about what to do often! Really appreciate all the excellent guidance I’ve found here. :)

Last edited:
I'll cast my vote for being anti-heat of any sort. I'm also anti-insulation. I used to have an insulated coop that had small vents so I could try to keep the heat in and keep the chickens warmer. I had frost bite issues and unhealthy chickens. I lost a couple to respiratory issues. Now I have an fresh air coop with big open windows that stay open in all temperatures. The chickens roost in an entirely draft free and completely dry environment. They are healthy and happy and in a far, far colder part of the country than you are in.

Back
Top Bottom