Rain storm killed pullet?

HerbanChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Sorry, I wasn't really sure where to put this? I had 6 pullets each between 12-14 weeks old, last week we lost our SLW after she was able to get over the fence while free ranging the yard and went MIA (we've since clipped everyones wings). To add insult to injury I went out this AM to feed, water and let the girls out and I only noticed 4 of them trotting out of the coop door into the run. I began to investigate to see where my RIR was and I found her in a crumpled up position underneath the sheltered part of the enclosed coop.

We had a bit of a rain storm yesterday but I did frequently check on the girls and I kept them in the coop for the day since it was pouring and they could go inside and roost and stay dry. Everyone seemed perfectly fine and happy. And then this this AM? Could she have maybe been stressed out? She was in a sheltered part, but not inside the coop where they roost at night (they are all pretty good at this point about putting themselves up in the evening). Anyone have any ideas? Everyone is healthy and no signs of distress before this, so it was quite an unexpected find.

The rainstorm didn't do it. Sometimes birds just die, for no apparent reason. I'd just keep an eye on the rest of the flock and see how everyone does.

So she was sleeping by herself on the ground while it was raining?

What was the temperature that night?
Being wet reduces the insulation capabilities of their feathers. If it was cold enough, even an adult chicken could succumb to hypothermia. I believe it's called "dying of exposure".

Last edited:
The rainstorm didn't do it. Sometimes birds just die, for no apparent reason. I'd just keep an eye on the rest of the flock and see how everyone does.
Donrae is right, the rainstorm didn't do it. A bird that age is fully feathered out and can handle getting wet. Just keep an eye the others.

Yeah, they are all fully feathered and have been out in the coop for about 7 weeks and have all faired very well. Stinks just not knowing WHAT did it, but I can understand sometimes it just happens :( Two losses in a week doesn't make me feel very good though. Everyone seemed happy yesterday and so far today but I will be keeping an eye on them for any signs of distress.

So she was sleeping by herself on the ground while it was raining?

What was the temperature that night?
Being wet reduces the insulation capabilities of their feathers. If it was cold enough, even an adult chicken could succumb to hypothermia. I believe it's called "dying of exposure".

Temps were probably in the high 60's up to the mid 80's, so nothing I would've thought they couldn't be capable of tolerating. I checked on them in the evening an all was well, rain had cleared out and we may have had some light showers afterwards. Since they have been in a set habit of putting themselves up I didn't check to make sure that night since I've got a grumpy teething baby right now. As I went out the next morning around 7 or so to let everyone out of the coop she was kind of fallen over breast up ontop of her head, her eyes were already glazed over so it looked like it had probably happened the previous night.

Definitely not the cold that got her. Maybe the storm scared her. You lost another one this week? Was it a predator?
Really not sure
hmm.png
They were out in the back yard free ranging and I went inside and was feeding my little guy when my neighbor called and told my my chickens were out front, when I got out there her 12 year old was rounding them up for me but only had 3 out of 6. Went in the back and there was one (the one I found dead yesterday) in her back yard so the daughter fetched that one and threw that one in the coop for me as well and then I had one loaner just ranging around the yard. My SLW was nowhere to be found, and believe me we looked EVERYWHERE! About 30 minutes later I went back out and saw a hawk circling above our houses, so it made me wonder and I definitely lost hope of getting her back at that point. Bummer of a week so far, hoping nothing else happens.

Back
Top Bottom