Raising Chicks In a Portacot

Hello! Personally, I do not think that this is the best plan. As others have mentioned, the pergola is not predator proof. I am aware that you claim to not have any predators in your area, but many people tend to think the same thing, until BAM! Chicks are dead. In regards to the Pack-N-Play, I again do not believe that is the best form of housing. The fabric will become DISGUSTING without proper protection. Yes, chicks are small but they are extremely messy. I have raised chicks in big totes and in large dog crates with chicken wire on the sides with a lot of success. Do you have a garage that they could be brooded in? Ultimately, it is your choice where you will house your chicks, but please keep all of the things that others have said in mind. You can find a lot of awesome advice on this thread.

I raised my chicks in a pack n play, or portable crib as you are looking at. I used a net over the top so they couldn't fly out and I hung their food and water up using poles laid across the top of the crib so they couldn't tip it over.

I raised my chicks in a pack n play, or portable crib as you are looking at. I used a net over the top so they couldn't fly out and I hung their food and water up using poles laid across the top of the crib so they couldn't tip it over.
Awesome, did you have any problems with the fabric rotting? What heat source did you use? What bedding did you use on the bottom? Thank you!

Hello! Personally, I do not think that this is the best plan. As others have mentioned, the pergola is not predator proof. I am aware that you claim to not have any predators in your area, but many people tend to think the same thing, until BAM! Chicks are dead. In regards to the Pack-N-Play, I again do not believe that is the best form of housing. The fabric will become DISGUSTING without proper protection. Yes, chicks are small but they are extremely messy. I have raised chicks in big totes and in large dog crates with chicken wire on the sides with a lot of success. Do you have a garage that they could be brooded in? Ultimately, it is your choice where you will house your chicks, but please keep all of the things that others have said in mind. You can find a lot of awesome advice on this thread.
Hi, thanks for your thoughts. Other people in this thread have used a portacot to raise chicks and they had no problems with the material... In regard to predators I will be putting wire on top in case a predator does come. What else do you think I could raise chicks in that can all fit comfortably until fully feathered? Yes I do have a garage, but would be useless as it would be pitch black. If I was to open the door, it comes into the pergola, which is the same as having them in the pergola, it’s all connected.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. Other people in this thread have used a portacot to raise chicks and they had no problems with the material... In regard to predators I will be putting wire on top in case a predator does come. What else do you think I could raise chicks in that can all fit comfortably until fully feathered? Yes I do have a garage, but would be useless as it would be pitch black. If I was to open the door, it comes into the pergola, which is the same as having them in the pergola, it’s all connected.
Having wire on top of the portable crib will not stop all predators. Most will be able to chew through the mesh in seconds. If you plan to raise 5 at a time, a large dog kennel (they can be found cheap at garage sales and thrift stores) with chicken wire wrapped around the sides so the babies can’t escape will be perfectly sufficient until they are mostly, if not fully, feathered. Also, it is okay if your garage is dark because a heat lamp will supply light.

Having wire on top of the portable crib will not stop all predators. Most will be able to chew through the mesh in seconds. If you plan to raise 5 at a time, a large dog kennel (they can be found cheap at garage sales and thrift stores) with chicken wire wrapped around the sides so the babies can’t escape will be perfectly sufficient until they are mostly, if not fully, feathered. Also, it is okay if your garage is dark because a heat lamp will supply light.
Predators do not concern me so the idea of something getting in does not scare me. I won’t be using a heat lamp due to the fire risk dangers and I don’t like how they can’t have a normal day and night cycle. I will be using a Brinsea Ecoglow brooder which I posted a photo before, one of those heating pads.

They had a chick kit at the pet store with everything included, but this was roughly the design and size of the enclosure. How long do you think it could house the chicks for?
2893B5BF-17DB-48D1-BB81-EE49BF1D2255.jpeg

Predators do not concern me so the idea of something getting in does not scare me. I won’t be using a heat lamp due to the fire risk dangers and I don’t like how they can’t have a normal day and night cycle. I will be using a Brinsea Ecoglow brooder which I posted a photo before, one of those heating pads.
Okay. I will always advise brooding chicks in a safe and secure location, but it is your house and your decision. I hope that everything works out in the end!

Back
Top Bottom