Raising Chicks In a Portacot

How many chicks do you plan to raise?

I’m with your family on using the pergola, tbh. While Valerie has a point, I think it’s a reasonable risk, considering your lack of predators with your present flock. I would not personally enjoy chicks brooding in the house. Even though you clean the brooder multiple times a day, there’s still a fair amount of dust. If you have young children or people who suffer from allergies, it’s just not a good idea, esp. if you have any decent alternatives.

Some folks brood their chicks out of doors from day one. That does, of course, require special protected accommodations for them. It doesn’t have to be fancy—just secure, warm enough, ventilated enough and draft-free. There are threads on here about doing that.

How many chicks do you plan to raise?

I’m with your family on using the pergola, tbh. While Valerie has a point, I think it’s a reasonable risk, considering your lack of predators with your present flock. I would not personally enjoy chicks brooding in the house. Even though you clean the brooder multiple times a day, there’s still a fair amount of dust. If you have young children or people who suffer from allergies, it’s just not a good idea, esp. if you have any decent alternatives.

Some folks brood their chicks out of doors from day one. That does, of course, require special protected accommodations for them. It doesn’t have to be fancy—just secure, warm enough, ventilated enough and draft-free. There are threads on here about doing that.
Thanks, only planning to raise about 5 at a time. We don’t prefer to raise chicks in the house, and we have other family who are allergic to dust ect. I think the pergola is a decent alternative and will serve the same purpose, not too hot and not too cold.

For that matter, hen raise their chicks outside all the time with their bodies being the only heat, so I agree with you on the mama heat pad arrangement.:thumbsup

How hot is it there currently? Chicks are very susceptible to all temperature extremes until their bodies start regulating properly. They need a place they can escape from the heat as well, so perhaps having them indoors for the first few days or week would allow them some time to build up a bit of hardiness.
I would be worried about rats above all - they may be drawn in by the chicks' presence and would be right through the walls of that playpen.
With rearing indoors, the smell is not such an issue with the appropriate bedding and regular changing schedule, but they will start to produce a 'lot' of feather dander in a few weeks. That being said, what are your plans for outdoors and integration? The warmer temps will mean they can shift away from 'momma' sooner - particularly if the nights are warm.
Get lots of handling in - hand reared babies can become quite cuddly hens.

Thank you! :) When you mention lid do you mean sold wire to protect them from a cat (only predators we have) or by something more solid and not transparent like a piece of wood or metal, just need some clarification. Guessing wire as it would be easier to set up and run the brooder pad.

Either choice should be fine - use whatever is easier for you. I like to recycle whatever I can find lying around the property. If you feel cats could be an issue a solid lid like wood would be safer, but you shouldn't have to go out of your way to fashion one either.

How hot is it there currently? Chicks are very susceptible to all temperature extremes until their bodies start regulating properly. They need a place they can escape from the heat as well, so perhaps having them indoors for the first few days or week would allow them some time to build up a bit of hardiness.
I would be worried about rats above all - they may be drawn in by the chicks' presence and would be right through the walls of that playpen.
With rearing indoors, the smell is not such an issue with the appropriate bedding and regular changing schedule, but they will start to produce a 'lot' of feather dander in a few weeks. That being said, what are your plans for outdoors and integration? The warmer temps will mean they can shift away from 'momma' sooner - particularly if the nights are warm.
Get lots of handling in - hand reared babies can become quite cuddly hens.
Hello, it is summer now in Australia and I’m sure you’ve seen all the bushfires happening. It is quite hot as it’s summer and I don’t plan getting chicks until autumn. Rats will not be a a problem, I assure you. I have other areas for when they have more feathers. I’ve had many chicks before so I know what the process is and how everything is. :)

Hello, it is summer now in Australia and I’m sure you’ve seen all the bushfires happening. It is quite hot as it’s summer and I don’t plan getting chicks until autumn. Rats will not be a a problem, I assure you. I have other areas where they go when they grow their feathers.
Yes seen... we had an evening of sepia sky when the smoke blew over NZ. Hopefully, you're far away from that.

Yep, thankfully we’re safe from the fires. Have you ever used the Brinsea Ecoglow brooder?
Good to hear, no never used an ecoglow. I used extra reptile kit, so my first batch had a caged Arcadia Deep Heat Projector suspended over their pen - so they were a bit spoiled in that. The last two batches have been hatched under my silkie, so she's done all the work.

Back
Top Bottom